• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Dumb Question?? Is this Normal?

gn83tm

Haven't been around boats since I was a kid (20 yrs ago) but recently picked up an old bass boat with a 40 HP Merc (1979). With the motor idling in a barrel of water, there is some water spitting out with the exhaust. Is this normal?

Thanks for answering what is probably a dumb question.

Out of the pea hole there should be a steady stream coming out. It can be removed and cleaned out with small wire to remove any obsructions. If that didnt do it it maybe bad impeller in lower unit. The pea hole is part of the cooling system for the engine. the cooling system retreaves water from bottom of lower unit and is pumped to through engine then discharged out the peahole.

I would look into that.

I'm not familiar with elderly ones but in my opinion it should be a steady stream especialy a big twin. I would definatly look into it. A spray almost indicates an obstructed emiter (pea hole)try cleaning it with a small wire for starters

I have a 25 hp motor on my pontoon, and had the water just spuntering out the pee hole. I just poked a long prong into the hole, and it released some junk and started a good steady stream. you definetly want a good steady stream out that hole.

I wonderdered about the amount coming out of the pee hole also. I recently bought this rig and supposedly the pump had recently been done. I dropped the lower unit to check it out and it looked pretty fresh so I put it back together. The impeller was flexible and looked fine.

Since there was some water coming out of the pee hose I figured it wasn't plugged but I didn't check into it any further. The hole is pretty small (less than 1/8" diameter) where it exits the motor. The water coming out at an idle is not a steam that shoots out but is more of a steady dribble, almost a stream, that runs down the side of the motor and then drops off.

Is it possible to check the cooling system pressure on these motors and if so what should it be? It looks like there's a pipe plug on the cylinder head that maybe I could put a gauge in.

Update Time

I disconnected the hose going to the telltale and blew it out from the motor side. There was a little bit of junk that came out so I figured maybe it was restricted. We took it to the lake but it still didn't have steady "stream", more like a steady dribble. There was also a pretty good amount of water coming out with the exhaust. I watched it closely and we putted around (no wake lake) for close to 2 hours. The motor stayed cool the whole time but the dribble never did become a stream. Could there be more junk in the system that's limiting the flow out of the telltale or could there be something else wrong?

One thing I wondered about was whether the water tube coming off the pump could leak where it goes into the powerhead. It didn't seem real tight but it didn't fall out either when I was putting the lower end back on (motor tilted). Does this motor have a thermostat or anything else up top that could be an issue or is this likely an issue that is related to the water pump only?

Thanks for the help guys, I really appreciate it. We have a family vacation planned for Big Battle starting a week from today so I really need to be getting this figured out.

I would urge you to pull the lower unit and take a look at the impeller. While your in there you might as well replace the impellor. Over the years they dry out crack and break and don't pump like they should. They are fairly cheap. You should have a constant stream with some pressure behind it and a little water out the exhaust up top.

My 1957 Evinrude 18hp doesn't has a pee hole, all the water goes out the exhaust up top.

Did some more playing around tonight and pulled the thermostat area apart and blew air through the motor from there as well as the telltale hose. Had a little junk come out of those areas. Buttoned it back up and ran it in a garbage and it had a decent stream coming out. Didn't shoot clear across the shop but it probably shot out about 4" from the motor. I'm thinking it will be ok but I ordered a water pump kit anyway and will put that in if it gets any worse or I have few spare minutes. I also wonder about how good the seal is where the water tube enters the powerhead so I will probably look into that also.

Also replaced the stator and the switch box in the last 2 weeks due to the wires being dry rotted and corroded. They sure went with the low bidder on those!

Just another money-sucking hobby I guess, but it's fun, right?

Thanks for the help guys!

Just to update in case anyone runs across this in a search some day.

I ended up leaving things as-is and spent the first week of August on Big Battle. Pulled the kids in a tube a lot and fished most of the rest of the day and the motor performed well with no signs of any cooling issues (it has a high temp sensor).

Decided to look at it a little closer this week and it ended up being a thermostat problem. I plumbed a pressure gauge into a fitting on the engine cover (beside a spark plug) and ran it in a garbage can and it buried a 10 lb gauge at a high idle so I decided the pump was working fine. Figured there was a restriction or something before the water got to the telltale so I started taking things apart back from there and checking by blowing through things with compressed air. Ended up at the thermostat/bypass area and looked the thermostat over carefully. It looked like it was stuck open a slight amount and when I tested it on the stove it didn't open until 165 degrees. Supposed to be 143. I put things back together without the stat and got a good stream out of the telltale. Replaced the thermostat today and everything seems to be fine since it shoots a nice stream out on the shop floor. Evidently the telltale is in line after the thermostat and if it isn't working right you don't get a good stream out of the telltale.

Hope this helps someone someday and thanks for the responses from you guys.