Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

• Announcements

• Rick

Members Only Fluid Forum View   08/08/2017

Fluid forum view allows members only to get right to the meat of this community; the topics. You can toggle between your preferred forum view just below to the left on the main forum entrance. You will see three icons. Try them out and see what you prefer.   Fluid view allows you, if you are a signed up member, to see the newest topic posts in either all forums (select none or all) or in just your favorite forums (select the ones you want to see when you come to Fishing Minnesota). It keeps and in real time with respect to Topic posts and lets YOU SELECT YOUR FAVORITE FORUMS. It can make things fun and easy. This is especially true for less experienced visitors raised on social media. If you, as a members want more specific topics, you can even select a single forum to view. Let us take a look at fluid view in action. We will then break it down and explain how it works in more detail.   The video shows the topic list and the forum filter box. As you can see, it is easy to change the topic list by changing the selected forums. This view replaces the traditional list of categories and forums.   Of course, members only can change the view to better suit your way of browsing.   You will notice a “grid” option. We have moved the grid forum theme setting into the main forum settings. This makes it an option for members only to choose. This screenshot also shows the removal of the forum breadcrumb in fluid view mode. Fluid view remembers your last forum selection so you don’t lose your place when you go back to the listing. The benefit of this feature is easy to see. It removes a potential barrier of entry for members only. It puts the spotlight on topics themselves, and not the hierarchical forum structure. You as a member will enjoy viewing many forums at once and switching between them without leaving the page. We hope that fluid view, the new functionality is an asset that you enjoy .
Sign in to follow this  
gn83tm

Dumb Question?? Is this Normal?

Haven't been around boats since I was a kid (20 yrs ago) but recently picked up an old bass boat with a 40 HP Merc (1979). With the motor idling in a barrel of water, there is some water spitting out with the exhaust. Is this normal?

Thanks for answering what is probably a dumb question.

Yep, perfectly normal. You will want it "peeing" out of the indicator stream (whatever that is called) as well.

Yes thats normal. If you are talking about the exhaust holes below the powerhead, but above the water line, they are exhaust relief ports.

Thanks guys! That's a relief! There's also a steady dribble out of the pee hole so hopefully this thing is good to go.

Dribble is no good. You want a good stream. Since you just picked it up and might not know the history, change the impeller for piece of mind.

Out of the pea hole there should be a steady stream coming out. It can be removed and cleaned out with small wire to remove any obsructions. If that didnt do it it maybe bad impeller in lower unit. The pea hole is part of the cooling system for the engine. the cooling system retreaves water from bottom of lower unit and is pumped to through engine then discharged out the peahole.

I would look into that.

Not to hijak this thread, will the old motors also have a constant stream coming out of them particularly a 1965 Evinrude Big Twin cause all mine does is spray water out or spits the water out if you will?

I'm not familiar with elderly ones but in my opinion it should be a steady stream especialy a big twin. I would definatly look into it. A spray almost indicates an obstructed emiter (pea hole)try cleaning it with a small wire for starters

I have a 25 hp motor on my pontoon, and had the water just spuntering out the pee hole. I just poked a long prong into the hole, and it released some junk and started a good steady stream. you definetly want a good steady stream out that hole.

I wonderdered about the amount coming out of the pee hole also. I recently bought this rig and supposedly the pump had recently been done. I dropped the lower unit to check it out and it looked pretty fresh so I put it back together. The impeller was flexible and looked fine.

Since there was some water coming out of the pee hose I figured it wasn't plugged but I didn't check into it any further. The hole is pretty small (less than 1/8" diameter) where it exits the motor. The water coming out at an idle is not a steam that shoots out but is more of a steady dribble, almost a stream, that runs down the side of the motor and then drops off.

Is it possible to check the cooling system pressure on these motors and if so what should it be? It looks like there's a pipe plug on the cylinder head that maybe I could put a gauge in.

Update Time

I disconnected the hose going to the telltale and blew it out from the motor side. There was a little bit of junk that came out so I figured maybe it was restricted. We took it to the lake but it still didn't have steady "stream", more like a steady dribble. There was also a pretty good amount of water coming out with the exhaust. I watched it closely and we putted around (no wake lake) for close to 2 hours. The motor stayed cool the whole time but the dribble never did become a stream. Could there be more junk in the system that's limiting the flow out of the telltale or could there be something else wrong?

One thing I wondered about was whether the water tube coming off the pump could leak where it goes into the powerhead. It didn't seem real tight but it didn't fall out either when I was putting the lower end back on (motor tilted). Does this motor have a thermostat or anything else up top that could be an issue or is this likely an issue that is related to the water pump only?

Thanks for the help guys, I really appreciate it. We have a family vacation planned for Big Battle starting a week from today so I really need to be getting this figured out.

I would urge you to pull the lower unit and take a look at the impeller. While your in there you might as well replace the impellor. Over the years they dry out crack and break and don't pump like they should. They are fairly cheap. You should have a constant stream with some pressure behind it and a little water out the exhaust up top.

My 1957 Evinrude 18hp doesn't has a pee hole, all the water goes out the exhaust up top.

Did some more playing around tonight and pulled the thermostat area apart and blew air through the motor from there as well as the telltale hose. Had a little junk come out of those areas. Buttoned it back up and ran it in a garbage and it had a decent stream coming out. Didn't shoot clear across the shop but it probably shot out about 4" from the motor. I'm thinking it will be ok but I ordered a water pump kit anyway and will put that in if it gets any worse or I have few spare minutes. I also wonder about how good the seal is where the water tube enters the powerhead so I will probably look into that also.

Also replaced the stator and the switch box in the last 2 weeks due to the wires being dry rotted and corroded. They sure went with the low bidder on those!

Just another money-sucking hobby I guess, but it's fun, right?

Thanks for the help guys!

Just to update in case anyone runs across this in a search some day.

I ended up leaving things as-is and spent the first week of August on Big Battle. Pulled the kids in a tube a lot and fished most of the rest of the day and the motor performed well with no signs of any cooling issues (it has a high temp sensor).

Decided to look at it a little closer this week and it ended up being a thermostat problem. I plumbed a pressure gauge into a fitting on the engine cover (beside a spark plug) and ran it in a garbage can and it buried a 10 lb gauge at a high idle so I decided the pump was working fine. Figured there was a restriction or something before the water got to the telltale so I started taking things apart back from there and checking by blowing through things with compressed air. Ended up at the thermostat/bypass area and looked the thermostat over carefully. It looked like it was stuck open a slight amount and when I tested it on the stove it didn't open until 165 degrees. Supposed to be 143. I put things back together without the stat and got a good stream out of the telltale. Replaced the thermostat today and everything seems to be fine since it shoots a nice stream out on the shop floor. Evidently the telltale is in line after the thermostat and if it isn't working right you don't get a good stream out of the telltale.

Hope this helps someone someday and thanks for the responses from you guys.

Awesome news and thanks for the update. People read these forums regularly and this is the type of info sharing that makes FM the greatest web site out there.

Yeah, it can be an expensive hobby, but as you said, it sure is fun when it all works.