Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

• Announcements

• Rick

Members Only Fluid Forum View   08/08/2017

Fluid forum view allows members only to get right to the meat of this community; the topics. You can toggle between your preferred forum view just below to the left on the main forum entrance. You will see three icons. Try them out and see what you prefer.   Fluid view allows you, if you are a signed up member, to see the newest topic posts in either all forums (select none or all) or in just your favorite forums (select the ones you want to see when you come to Fishing Minnesota). It keeps and in real time with respect to Topic posts and lets YOU SELECT YOUR FAVORITE FORUMS. It can make things fun and easy. This is especially true for less experienced visitors raised on social media. If you, as a members want more specific topics, you can even select a single forum to view. Let us take a look at fluid view in action. We will then break it down and explain how it works in more detail.   The video shows the topic list and the forum filter box. As you can see, it is easy to change the topic list by changing the selected forums. This view replaces the traditional list of categories and forums.   Of course, members only can change the view to better suit your way of browsing.   You will notice a “grid” option. We have moved the grid forum theme setting into the main forum settings. This makes it an option for members only to choose. This screenshot also shows the removal of the forum breadcrumb in fluid view mode. Fluid view remembers your last forum selection so you don’t lose your place when you go back to the listing. The benefit of this feature is easy to see. It removes a potential barrier of entry for members only. It puts the spotlight on topics themselves, and not the hierarchical forum structure. You as a member will enjoy viewing many forums at once and switching between them without leaving the page. We hope that fluid view, the new functionality is an asset that you enjoy .
Sign in to follow this  
b1gf1sh1

walk the dog?

what's the best way to retrieve a ''walk the dog'' type bait like a weagle? is it up,up,up,up that's best for you or side,down.. down down, up, down/ what works best or is there a best?

If you're talking rod postition keep it down, down, down - unless you wade and fish like me up to your waist, then side, side, side is the only option!!

I just bought a "doc" the other day and will get my first chance to try it out tomorrow. You guys ever hook into anything with this style of topwater?

Sometimes it seems topwaters just get you more [PoorWordUsage]'d than anything else. I have read and heard that obviously they end up with lower hooking percentages but lordy. I've had several (guessing mid 40") lost on headshakes with a topraider this year with my brief experience - and wouldn't you know it I was able to actually haul in a hammer handle on it haha...jokes on me!

I like to keep my pole down and the tip aimed directly at the lure itself. Makes it much easier to try and get a good hookset with it.

DOC's are good topwaters. I have caught good fish on them but like anyother WTD topwater, they get their share of misses as well!

Short quick taps with the rod down, watching the lure (Weagle) and making sure it's doing what I want it to. My goal is to walk it side to side, simple as that.....

I should mention I do this with a 8' Diamondback jerkbait rod, rod length is not an issue. The only issue is getting the bait to swing like it should, and the Weagle has been hot lately.

Hook up % is higher than you think if you do it right.

Quote:
Short quick taps with the rod down, watching the lure (Weagle) and making sure it's doing what I want it to. My goal is to walk it side to side, simple as that.....

thanks everyone. seems it's some form of down,down for sure. wondering because i have next week off and am heading to mille lacs for a days fishing.( maybe stay after dark who knows.) going to try for 'ski, walleye, perch and crappies mabe. want to try a weagle type and see what happens.

so is it supposed to be subsurface with a wake/without a wake or is it strictly move on top with a wake? in your humble oppinion of course cool

Quote:
so is it supposed to be subsurface with a wake/without a wake or is it strictly move on top with a wake? in your humble oppinion of course

That's what makes it unique. It's a surface topwater WTD bait but with the weight displacement 1/2 or a little more of the body is under the surface. Result is a LOT of water moved, and a far less chance of a fish blowing up underneath it and pushing the bait out of the water before the fish hits hooks. Other topwaters ride higher in the water and are more succeptable to blow-ups where the lure leaves the "strike zone" before the fish's mouth is there.

I've had to cut a lot of front hooks off Weagles.....

Quote:
That's what makes it unique. It's a surface topwater WTD bait but with the weight displacement 1/2 or a little more of the body is under the surface.

hence the solid oak... natural ballast, makes sense. ever seen a weagle with a ballast weight insert, you know the kind you screw in? i put one in my bait for the heck of it and was just wondering. your the weagle man so i figure you would know. i just hope ''she'' or her sister (or both) grin like the sound of oak.