Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Craig Plummer

Flourocarbon

8 posts in this topic

I was reading through an In-Fish article last night about the advantages/disadvantages of Flourocarbon. I was thinking of spooling my Jigging rod with 14# Flouro to cut back on the visability of the line (I currently use #14 mono), But I dont like the fact that it is stiffer than mono because I am worried about having more backlashes with my baitcaster (Im still learning).

So my question is Do you guys fill your whole spool with Flouro or would you just use a Flouro leader and fill your spool with a differant type of line?

I have spooled all floro and it went well until I had a backlash then lil kinks in the line. I went back to braid for everything. I'll tie on a floro or mono leader if needed, but mostly tie direct with braid then color 12-18" of the braid with a black perm marker. My .02

My opinion is that I do not like flourocarbon lines yet, and I don't use them for main lines yet and definately wouldn't recomend them for leaders.

If it is visibility you are worried about, look at them and compare, I don't think you will notice much if any difference with the human eye between 14lb flouro and 14lb mono.

The other reason is it seems flourocarbon breaks way to easy. I have used two types of flouro and both break way under what is on the label for me.

I have actually tried testing the strenght between 8lb mono and two different flouros. I used 15ft of line and pulled on it slow and steady untill the lines broke. I used a tape measure and regular digital fish scale to see the amount of stretch and amount of weight it took to break it. And I repeated each line test twice and had very similiar results. By the way the only knot I tried was a uni knot with 6 turns which I made sure was wet before tightening. Also I didn't compare diameters of line at all just the box rating.

8lb trilene xt took 11.5lbs to break and stretched 28" until it broke. And both times I tested it the break was about 6 inches from the knot.

The 8lb flouro I tried which I won't say the name of broke at about 5 lbs both times. And stretched 27" before it broke. Both times tested the line broke at the knot. (maybe I should try a new knot but I've tied it for a while and really like the uni)

The other brand flouro I tried was even worse than above and won't even bother listing numbers I found. ALso I only used this line for leaders cause it seemed terrible on spinning tackle. While fishing I had several break offs with my leader when fish took runs that I feel shouldn't have happened.

What I do like about flouros is that they sink faster which can be good sometimes. And I did use the first 8lb flouro I mentioned the numbers with while fishing quite a bit with zero break offs. This line handled real well even compared to mono I thought. This one casted great and worked real well on spinning tackle.

Also when the flouro line gets abraded it seems like its a bunch of little strands that pop one at a time.

Just some opinion and observations. But from what I have seen I don't see what all the hype is about and why lots of people like it so much. Tackle tours HSOforum has lots of good info too.

CP- THe stiffness of Floro will actually help you feel bites... but like you said, it does help if you want to call it that.. in backlashes. The good news is.. On a jig rod, you dont make long casts... plain and simple.. you dont.. or shouldnt.. so backlashing is really not an issue.

On my main jig rod I use 20 lb Floro, and love it!

As for how I spool it. I use mostly whatever I have on hand and then put maybe 50 yards of floro.. I never cast more than 50 yards and when I do start to cast to the end, I recut and put a new 50 yards on. I dont like knots on the line that I am using, just another silly thing to fail, I hate failure, but seem to be pretty good at it.

It really doesnt matter, as like I said, I never get to it and when I do, I replace.. But I use a blood know or a Uni to Uni knot, which are both very similar. More often than not(or Knot) its the blood... its somewhat simple and has not failed me yet.

an over hand knot works, but leaves too many tag ends which can cause backlases or overuns on spinning gear.

I use old line on the beginning of all of my spools, then I just blood knot the new "good" line to it.

Seems like a waste when some of the lines I'm using are $15 a spool or more to just throw half of it away. Once I get near the blood knot I re-spool also. Wanna get good at trusting your knots? Try fly-fishing. You can have 7 or 8 knots between you and the fish.

This topic is now closed to further replies.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

• Popular Now

• 1 hour ago, blue_healer_guy said:

leech, it does sound like an odd concocktion.  but you gotta try it.  225 for 2 hrs, helps if u use thin bacon.

Man, I can see cream cheese but peanut butter? I may have to give it a go sometime, maybe the bacon will off set the oddness? :eek:  :)

Edited by leech~~
    • Sorry I missed that. The brown and blue wires are the Transmit TX and Receive Rx wires for connection via single cable to NMEA 0183 compatible devices. nmea 0183 is the protocol for compatible devices, computer, plotters, auto piolet, Radar, radio, etc. All of these devices including your GPS can be connected to a single cable. The brown and blue wires allows the sonar to communicate to other devices. Google nmea 0183 compatible devices for a raft of information on what this is.

My brother, a charter Capitan out of Cortez FL. uses these devices on his boat for off shore fishing up to 100 miles off shore. Nice to have to talk to other Capitan's ship to shore, radar, GPS and  to get back home without running into sunken islands.

• Trump stumped on terrorist quiz as he can't identify the leaders of ISIS and al-Qaeda – but Carly Fiorina shows she knows her Nasrallah from her al-Julani

• Radio host Hugh Hewitt asked Trump and Fiorina the same questions about terrorist leaders in separate taped interviews on Thursday
      • FIorina answered confidently and Trump seemed flummoxed, confusing 'Quds Forces' with 'Kurds forces'

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3222467/Trump-stumped-terrorist-quiz-t-identify-leaders-ISIS-al-Qaeda-Carly-Fiorina-shows-knows-Nasrallah-al-

• 12 hours ago, delcecchi said:

He can't be as ignorant and inept as he has come across in TV interviews.  

I ask the same thing about the other 2 candidates, especially the one that is your favorite.

12 hours ago, delcecchi said:

That would have been a fine answer.   Unfortunately instead he sat there with his mouth hanging open (figuratively) and looked like a total dolt.   This is the second time he has handled something in an interview poorly.  I guess he feels he needs the exposure but unfortunately he is not especially good at the interview thing.   At the very least he needs to practice deflecting the question.  Perhaps the "nobody especially" but "I prefer to look to American leaders of the past like (Calvin Coolidge, Teddy Roosevelt, Thomas Jefferson, William Calhoun, whoever he wants)" 

He can't just sit there and and look stupid, which is what he did.    Maybe some role playing in preparation would have helped.   He can't be as ignorant and inept as he has come across in TV interviews.  

What do you care? I thought he was irrelevant anyway?

• Oh yeah.  I keep forgetting about all that modern computer stuff in cars.   So the computer would notice the tranny didn't shift all the way down as the car stopped?     There goes that theory.   

And why only after a couple hours of driving?   Some sort of overheating of the transmission fluid?  cooler plugged in the flush process?   

Here is a question for Carpmaster..... Is it different in the summer vrs winter?   Like you only have to drive 50 miles in summer and 200 in winter?  

You guys that actually know can feel free to ignore my suggestions if you don't want to waste time answering.  

• Man, I can see cream cheese but peanut butter? I may have to give it a go sometime, maybe the bacon will off set the oddness?  
    • Sorry I missed that. The brown and blue wires are the Transmit TX and Receive Rx wires for connection via single cable to NMEA 0183 compatible devices. nmea 0183 is the protocol for compatible devices, computer, plotters, auto piolet, Radar, radio, etc. All of these devices including your GPS can be connected to a single cable. The brown and blue wires allows the sonar to communicate to other devices. Google nmea 0183 compatible devices for a raft of information on what this is. My brother, a charter Capitan out of Cortez FL. uses these devices on his boat for off shore fishing up to 100 miles off shore. Nice to have to talk to other Capitan's ship to shore, radar, GPS and  to get back home without running into sunken islands.  
    • Trump stumped on terrorist quiz as he can't identify the leaders of ISIS and al-Qaeda – but Carly Fiorina shows she knows her Nasrallah from her al-Julani Radio host Hugh Hewitt asked Trump and Fiorina the same questions about terrorist leaders in separate taped interviews on Thursday FIorina answered confidently and Trump seemed flummoxed, confusing 'Quds Forces' with 'Kurds forces'

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3222467/Trump-stumped-terrorist-quiz-t-identify-leaders-ISIS-al-Qaeda-Carly-Fiorina-shows-knows-Nasrallah-al-
    • I ask the same thing about the other 2 candidates, especially the one that is your favorite.   What do you care? I thought he was irrelevant anyway?  
    • Oh yeah.  I keep forgetting about all that modern computer stuff in cars.   So the computer would notice the tranny didn't shift all the way down as the car stopped?     There goes that theory.    And why only after a couple hours of driving?   Some sort of overheating of the transmission fluid?  cooler plugged in the flush process?    Here is a question for Carpmaster..... Is it different in the summer vrs winter?   Like you only have to drive 50 miles in summer and 200 in winter?   You guys that actually know can feel free to ignore my suggestions if you don't want to waste time answering.  
    • leech, it does sound like an odd concocktion.  but you gotta try it.  225 for 2 hrs, helps if u use thin bacon.
    • nw wisconee private marsh
    • Sorry, I thought the model was listed on the title of my question.  Anyway, Garmin 53dv EchoMap.  This one has downview, but is chirpless.  Seems like nice unit, tough.  Just wondered about those 2 wires.  Thanks.
    • should trigger a check engine light....
  • Our Sponsors