• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Favorite lens

It's either the Nikkor 300mm F/2.8 or the Nikkor 24-85mm f/2.8-4D AF lens (this lens also has a macro mode of 1:2 real life size). I generally have both of these along for the ride.

I'd say you are in good shape with a zoom lens of at least up to 300mm. It will give you the versatlity if something comes along that's fairly close, or if something like a unique bird is spotted at a bit more of a distance. For me, it's my 100-400mm.

The lens I would preffer to carry would is my Signa 50-500 but its so heave (over 5lbs) its hard to hand hold and get acceptable results. You have to use a tripod or monopod. It is my favorite when working from the blind.

In the woods, my Canon 30D and Canon 400 f5.6L with monopod is slung over my shoulder, and a backup body is ready in my bag with the Canon 70-200 f2.8L. When I REALLY need to be ready for anything, the 70-200 on the second body is around my neck and the 400 over my shoulder.