• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Small northern bog orchid

When we think of Minnesota orchids, we tend to think in terms of the wonderfully colored ladyslippers. But there are (approximately) 43 wild orchids that occur in Minnesota, and quite a few look as unobtrusive as these small northern bog orchids.

A statement in greens, the SNBO generally is under a foot tall, and tends to grow on hummocks in sphagnum bogs, though it occurs in other habitats as well. One of the most common orchids in Minnesota, it often goes unnoticed because few people tromp through bogs, and of those, even fewer take the time to peer at eye level orchids only a few inches tall.

These were captured near Bemidji over the last few days.

2697772200_7e06de0a59_o.jpg

2696953501_e9fa0b25d4_o.jpg

Very nice Steve!...small an onobscure as this orchid species is,it's still stands out in it's uniqueness...a wonderful find!...I probably walked by these many times through the years and never realized what I may have stepped on...I'll be watching for these the next time in the bogs! grin