Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
HugoBox

Net Saver?

10 posts in this topic

A couple weeks ago Muskie46 lost his net on his PB in the dark alone. Got me to thinking of how easy that could happen. Do you think the spray foam insulation stuff sprayed into the handle would keep it afloat. I don't think it would add much weight - I may give it a try. Any thoughts?

Hbox,

Sounds like a good idea. Let us know how it works.

Hugo

consider a rope on the net handle tied off to the boat cleat. if by chance a musky gets away with the net they could probably cause some trouble unless it's actually connected to the boat.

foam is a decent idea but i can easily see a fish taking the whole works to the bottom and hanging up in the weeds.

My guess would be that the spray foam would be a good start, but you would probably end up with a suspending, and maybe a rattlin net. I bet you would have to add a large foam float to the handle or something to add buoyancy. Just a guess though. Curious to know how it works...

I like both ideas (foam in handle and rope)... just be sure you check that you have the net in the boat before starting up the motor otherwise imagine the damage a net could do to the prop and the lower unit...

I tried using a bungie to hold the net the last time but ended up getting so frustrated I just took it off. Would be interested to see how the foam works.

I think you would need closed cell foam, wouldn't you? I don' tthink the spray stuff would work, just mess up a nice net. Maybe try to cut and shove down the tube a piece of those kids foam floaties?.... Or a big piece on the outside, just above the hoop, that would be big enough to float the net. Sort of like the old fashioned ski belts... you need to be at least as old as me to remember those, ha!

It's all part of an organized boat and the pre-planned routine of how to handle a fish once netted for me really. Not like I've boated 100s but I do have the routine well laid out.

I don't think I'd want 4 feet of a buoyant foam filled handle when I'm trying to get a net under a fish to be honest. That's why their hollow, and not solid steel posts, lighter and easier to move. I also don't think I'd want another teather or cord, just one more thing to trip over, snag a hook on, etc. (I'm prone to things like that). I'll simply wrap the net around the front or rear cleat if I have to.

Granted I'm not in 3 foot rollers on LOTW but the simpler the easier.

Ok, this is what I just did. I think it will work out quite well.

Drilled a hole at the bottom of the net and threaded about 18" of rope through. Knot one end and put a metal clip on the other. Whamo! Next time you get a fish in the net clip that rope around something sturdy (near the center of the boat). In my case my swivel seat in the rear, which is especially good when fishing alone then you can net the fish, harness the net to the seat and get your hook removal tools/tripod camera set up hands free without worrying about the fish in the net.

I cut my rope long enough to have the net parallel to the water, but not too much to have enough slack in the rope to make a quick exit for a fish. And, before the fish is in the net have the rope wrapped around the handle and clip the end to the base so it doesn't whip around and get in the way.

I guess it would also work during transportation too.

Haven't tried her out yet, but it looks like it will do the trick.

I had a net with a foam filled handle for wally fishing. It was just fine. Not too buoyant as to change netting action, but enough to keep it from sinking if it happened to go overboard. (which it did once!)

No way it will keep anything from swimming down with it though.

I've yet to boat my first muskie as I've only gone dedicated ski fishing once (Thanks Frogtosser for going along!) but like others have said you'll need a good plan and my bet is some way to secure the net so when you get her in there you can treat her right and let her go without undue stress or harm.