• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Where were the bass last weekend?

LazyIke

Did anyone swing and miss as badly as I did last weekend? A friend drove up from Nebraska and I only found him three bass on Saturday and he zeroed on Sunday. I caught only about 7 LM for the weekend.

We tried Big Carnelian, Turtle and Bald Eagle, throwing everything in the book at them -- deep and shallow tactics, to finesse and reaction-bite tactics, to top-water, to deadsticking.

To make matters worse, when we were drop-shotting and deep cranking, the graph showed fish EVERYWHERE, but no takers. About the only thing we didn't try was shakey head (have not yet invested in that gear) and didn't spend much time jigging (swimming or bouncing) as that is my weakest technique and i have little confidence in it -- have yet to catch one on a jig.

Was it "just one of those weekends," or were we just in the wrong places at the wrong time? I've never had a worse day in Minnesota than Sunday.

Frustrated, hoping for advice,

Lazy Ike

I had a tough day on sunday also. Eventually found a couple on a wind blown shore around a fallen tree on a Jig and chigger craw. Did catch a northern bouncing the jig off the bottom also. first time that has happened to me (just started using bass jigs this summer). And my buddy got skunked.... so tough for me all around

Same here, sunday was brutal, i was on bald eagle, where just a week earlier i was catching tons of nice 16+bass, and even hooked in to a 45+ musky... not sunday though, just one 17incher trolling a perch rap on one of the sides of the lake, and another small one drifting with a smaller crank of some sort... i fogot, sorry...

Horrible fishing must have spilled into the weekdays too. Monday was awful and Tuesday was ok. I think all the fish were 1.5 lbs. or less. Biggest fish was a 5 lb. northern. Cranked deep, dropshotted, jigged, fished shallow, fished weed edges, fished in the weeds. Ready to quit July fishing.

Fished on Big Marine for FBL last night and it was pretty tough for us as well. The guys that did good were pitching jigs and tossing mid range cranks. I ended up with 5 fish, caught two on a DT10 and had another throw the hook during the jump. I was burning it as fast as I possibly could, my buddy was laughing at me I looked so goofy crankin that fast. whistle But it was what it took to get the deep fish to turn on, I think it was more of a "what the speeding bullet was that?" bite than them chasing it down. Then we moved shallow and found a couple dinks on Comidas. Not much going last night though.

Caught a ton of fish Sunday night night up to 19" and was out again on Tuesday and struggled to put three fish in the boat. Two different lakes---both from @ 6-9 pm.