Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Rainy River

Charging

8 posts in this topic

What methods of trolling motor battery charging are you guys using when your up North and far away from a power outlet?

Generator?

Vehicle?

Solar?

Thanks

Chris

1000 watt Honda generator. It handles up to 6 ten amp banks with no problem. We've charged 2 to 3 boats at a time depending on the chargers.

Had the same issue. My trolling motor is 12 volt, so I just bought a second battery. Solar is not powerful enough (yet).

I considered an alternator charger, but was told it wouldn't put out enough power for a long enough time.

When I'm at an outpost I'll hook my depthfinder batteries up to their solar chargers - couple of alligator clips and some line. I just bought a solar panel from Northern and to get the job done it cost's about $145 for a 15 watt rig. That's what the electrical people I talked to would be required for 2 12 volt batteries that you wanted pumped back up within a day or so.

I had the same delima last year while up on Rainy. Ended up buying a Honda 1000 watt generator. Worked like a charm charging 2 boats trolling motor batteries and powering some lights. The Honda is a little spendy, but well worth the extra money. I have heard many bad things about the cheaper units.

Matt

I carried my battery in the cabin and charged it over night about every 2 days. Oh I also always had a extra battery along. Both starting and trolling.

This topic is now closed to further replies.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

• You might be able to figure things out this week.  How big is your sump basket?  Is the  pump kicking in now?  Sit there for 15 minutes and count the number of times it cycles.  That should give you a decent idea on how much water is coming in.  Then figure out about how high the water has to go before it flows by gravity.  The spec for the pump will say something like that it can pump 2,000 gph at 10 feet of lift.  (the gph drops dramatically the higher it has to pump the water).  The answer to your specifics will give you an idea of how big of a pump you need.  If you match the size of the pump as close as possible to the amount of water your will face you can maximize the amount of time the battery backup will last.   Faced with this problem I took a standard boat sump pump and modified it so I could hook up a garden hose.  The I took an old shop extension cord and wired the pump so I could hook it up to a car in the garage.  So just prior to having Noah float by I could hook things up in the garage and be good to go for as long as I had gas in the car to pump up the battery.   Now that I am adult I bought a generator and wired the house to take care of things.
    • Inevitably at least twice each season I will leave the house, drive 45 minutes and walk some of my favorite grouse spots for hours and hours, seeing nothing.  Admitting defeat on that day, I will drive 45 minutes back home, only to find a covey of birds in the driveway...
    • Colonel E.H. Taylor Small Batch Maker's Maker's 46 Bulleit Glenmorangie Highland Single Malt   Copperwing Distillery in St. Louis Park has a nice smooth whiskey. Supposed to introduce a new bourbon in a couple weeks too.
    • Hey featherslayer, you gonna register that nice bird of yours pretty soon?
    • cool find!  sure looks like a Swainson's.  
    • Great info.   Thanks Steve!   Jim
    • Came across this hawk on Earth Day at the edge of town. I've been told dark morph Red-tail, dark morph Swainson's and dark morph Broa- winged. Anyway, it's a dark morph some kind of hawk.
    • Yes it was.  I really needed one more layer today.  Lots of jakes and hens seen by us this morning.  Still looking for the toms.  Hope you had more luck.
    • There are a lot of apps available for that. Search your app store for "phone tracking" or something similar. Many give you the ability to share your positions so you both can see each other live. You might even have an app already on your phone. For example, I have Lookout Security installed on my phone and it includes the ability to find the location of my phone from another phone or PC. 
  • Our Sponsors