• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Riding in Wisconsin

TUMBLEWEED

Where does one go to get the tags to ride

over in Wisconsin? How much for a non-resident?

I am hearing really good things about all the

trails over there. They have way way more trails

than Minnesota....

I hear you can purchase the license at most gas stations or retail outlets. Not sure of the cost.

4wanderingeyes rides in WI a lot. Hopefully he can give more specifics.

I checked the Wisconsin DNR site. Non residents need to display

a ATV trail pass. It's 35.00 and is valid from 1 July until

June 30th. Available on line at the DNR site, or at

other licensing places like bait stores and gas stations....

Their trails are alot better then ours! There are many trails to ride on as well. The trail passes can be picked up at alot of gas stations, or any licensing place, most towns have atleast one. The trail passes are good for one year July-July, they have went up to $35 this year from $18 last year, but is still very well worth it!

Do you have an area in mind?

We were going to jump off the Tuscobia system after

hitting the Dead Horse trail head past Lorretta.

Then we were heading for Clam Lake, which is about

50 miles on the Dead Horse. It is suppose to be

true wheeling most of the way?!!

The dead horse is a nice trail. Plan a full day ride on it, and bring gas, unless you know you get good milage! The dead horse is somewhat a rough ride, there is a good 5-10 miles of a cobblestone type trail that will wear you out, and put your machine to the test! If you think you have a bad ball joint or wheel bearing, fix it first!

Closer to Birchwood you will find the 9 mile loop, this trail is made for some true 4x4 atv'ing, I wouldnt recommend any 2 wd atv's! If you head toward Spider lake, this is another nice trail system, and a nice little bar to stop for a sandwhich, and a beverage. Plan a 2-3 day ride, you will easily put on 300 miles without going over the same trail!

I wish I could go!

We were going to jump off the Tuscobia system after

hitting the Dead Horse trail head past Lorretta.

Then we were heading for Clam Lake, which is about

50 miles on the Dead Horse. It is suppose to be

true wheeling most of the way?!!

Plan to spend the majority of the day on the Deadhorse depending on trail conditions. Plan to carry fuel as there is nowhere to stop between Loretta and Clam Lake.

We typically will drive Loretta to Clam Lake one day, spend the night in clam lake and then backtrack to loretta the folowing day.

Most importantly enjoy the riding.

The only trail I have riden on in Wisconsin was near Danbury and it was all sand. Are all the trails like this one or is there regular trails like in MN? The sand trail did not excite me too much, it was like driving in snow.

I'm guessing the time it takes to run the dead horse depends a lot on conditions? We did it in late May and ran half way up from Loretta to Clam Lake. Took us about 4 hours to go up and back, averaged about 15 MPH and were werent riding hard by any means, just a leisurely put through the woods.

I can see where it would take a LOT longer if trail conditions were wet, or you stop and play at the pit or a couple of the other spots.