• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Am I done hunting archery buck if....?

First lets set the stage:

Before Sept. 13 I purchase my archery license, firearms license, muzzleloader license, and a bonus tag. I plan on bow hunting in a lottery area for about the first month of the season. Later I will be bow hunting in managed and intensive areas.

Now say I was to arrow a doe on Sept. 15th in a lottery area. From what I read in the regs I would need to use my archery either/or tag on this deer. Does that mean that when I am archery hunting later in the season, in managed and intensive areas, that I CANNOT arrow a buck? My archery either/or tag would be used. Can I then use an either/or tag from my firearms or muzzleloaders license on a deer that I arrowed?

Thanks!

Obviously the bonus tag is for antlerless deer only so you cannot use it on a buck. On the flip side you cannot tag an antlerless deer in a managed zone with a bonus tag. Managed zones do not have applicable bonus tags. You need to use your regular archery license to tag any deer you shoot with your bow in the managed zone.

In a nutshell you assessed your own situation correctly.

Obviously the bonus tag is for antlerless deer only so you cannot use it on a buck. On the flip side you cannot tag an antlerless deer in a managed zone with a bonus tag. Managed zones do not have applicable bonus tags. You need to use your regular archery license to tag any deer you shoot with your bow in the managed zone.

In a nutshell you assessed your own situation correctly.

Replace lottery for managed and you got it right. Managed bag limit is 2 and you can use any combination of licenses to get there. If you're in a M or I area, the smart thing to do is always have a bonus permit in your pocket. That way, if you stick a doe you don't have to burn your either sex tag. Jameson did assess it correctly. When you kill a lottery deer, you're done in all lottery areas. Remember, lottery areas are that way because the desire is to increase the deer population. So, if you shoot a doe in a lottery area, you're functionally done buck hunting for the year unless it's party hunting.

I hope that helps.

...if you shoot a doe in a lottery area, you're functionally done buck hunting for the year ...

If I arrow a doe in a lottery area, than I am done archery-buck hunting statewide.

Right?

I would still be able to a shoot a buck with a firearms or ML in a managed or intensive area.

Right?

Thanks for the help. I would much rather have to ask twice here, than be wrong once in the field.

Lcornice-You are correct. Thanks for the correction.

Jameson-To answer your question, I was only thinking in terms of archery. If you use your main archery tag to put on a doe you no longer have an archery tag that could be used for a buck.

You could shoot a buck with your gun. Keep in mind that in lottery zones you can only harvest one deer total. I believe your buck would have to come from a different area.

If you bow hunt in a lottery area, you can only shoot one deer in the lottery area. You can shoot other antlerless deer in managed or intesive areas with the bonus tags with your bow. You could shoot up to 5 deer if all where in intesive areas and only one was a buck.

Muskyman-Take a look at this thread and the link that is in the second post.

http://www.fishingminnesota.com/forum/ub...tio#Post1468276

The link is to the DNR page that shows how many deer can be harvested in each permit area. The second page list the quantity of deer that you could harvest in any zone.

This is also listed on the site:

"This year, the system will be “a la carte,” meaning that hunters can purchase licenses for only the seasons they want to hunt. Hunters are advised by the DNR to know the bag limits in the area they hunt. Even though hunters can buy three licenses, the general bag limit for deer is one in lottery areas, two in managed areas, and five in intensive areas (with some exceptions, such as early antlerless seasons)."

In a nutshell the area you hunt in determines the quantity of deer you harvest. Harvesting a deer with one type of license/weapon effects your ability to harvest another deer on a different license type.

Ahh, the introduction of the third variable! I was talking specifically about archery hunting. Here are your answers:

If I arrow a doe in a lottery area, than I am done archery-buck hunting statewide.

Right?

Right

I would still be able to a shoot a buck with a firearms or ML in a managed or intensive area.

Right?

Right

Icornice,

Sorry for questioning your knowledge, but are you absolutly sure if you tag a doe with your Archery tag (Either sex tag, not the bonus)that you can still tag a buck with the firearms or muzzloader tag? Just thinking back before "intensive harvest" area's and either sex tags that if you used you regular archery tag on a doe you could not shot a buck during firearms as the only tag "left" was your managment tag.

I'm sure things may have changed but that is how I was understanding the use of tags.

Lcornice-You are correct. Thanks for the correction.

Jameson-To answer your question, I was only thinking in terms of archery. If you use your main archery tag to put on a doe you no longer have an archery tag that could be used for a buck.

You could shoot a buck with your gun. Keep in mind that in lottery zones you can only harvest one deer total. I believe your buck would have to come from a different area.

wrong- If you tag a doe in a lottery area you cannnot go to a differnt area and tag a buck, using a firearm

All I can say is so much for the simplification of the rules! I thought the old ones weren't bad to begin with. But what do I know... I think I'll have my night cap and go to bed. Good luck out there.

Icornice,

Sorry for questioning your knowledge, but are you absolutly sure if you tag a doe with your Archery tag (Either sex tag, not the bonus)that you can still tag a buck with the firearms or muzzloader tag? Just thinking back before "intensive harvest" area's and either sex tags that if you used you regular archery tag on a doe you could not shot a buck during firearms as the only tag "left" was your managment tag.

I'm sure things may have changed but that is how I was understanding the use of tags.

I don't mind being questioned. Yes, I am sure. Three years ago, a change was made such that you can fill both your archery and firearm licenses (add muzzleloader to that this year). You are correct that prior to that, you couldn't fill that tag. It seemed pretty silly that in areas with multiple bags that you couldn't use your tags. So, the change was made. Remember, that only applies in M and I areas where the bag limits is >1. The lottery bag limit is 1, no matter how many licenses you have in your pocket. The only exception are special hunts (e.g., city archery), which aren't technically part of the larger permit area.

The rules are pretty simple compared to previous years, you just need to know the bag limits. Given deer populations vary tremendously depending where you are, there is no way to have one bag limit that can cover the entire state. Also, people want to hunt multiple seasons and multiple areas and the only way to offer that opportunity is to regulate bag limit, which puts the onus on the hunter to know how many they can kill in a certain 'color' area. The simplest regulation would tie you to one area and not let you move around (like in the West). I highly doubt people would support that type of regulation (myself included).

If you remember these rules you should be okay:

1) Can tag only one buck per year

2) Bag Limits -

a) Lottery - 1 (can't use bonus permits)

B) Managed - 2, any combination of licenses or bonus permits (that's 2 total, not 2 in each managed area)

c) Intensive - up to statewide limit of 5, any combination of licenses or bonus permits

d) EA - 2 extra can only use early antlerless permits

To answer the next question, yes, you can kill 1 deer in a lottery and 2 more in a managed area.

If you wind up filling an archery, firearm, or muzzleloader license with a doe. you can use one of the other parent licenses to take a buck. The only qualifier, as stated previously, is you can only kill one buck per year. There's nothing to say you can't fill all your parent licenses throughout the state, so long as you adhere to the bag limits.

Quite frankly, this is much easier to explain without the all-season license, which rolled off 3 tags. The book is out now and it does explain bag limits and what you can do with licenses.

Follow up question.

Please excuse me if this is an obvious one, I haven't bought a regular archery or firearms license in a few years. Looking at my 2007 ALL-SEASON either/or tag down in the bottom right corner it has a check-off area for Archery-Firearms-Muzzle.

Is a eithor/or tag from a regular license this year going to have those options? Did they in the past?

Oh, the confusion if they do!

Thanks for all your help lcornice!

Anybody know where I can get a GOOD left handed Bow?

Like a Matthews or Bow-tech ?

Resoanbly priced....

I'm not sure what "draw length" but I can tell you

I'm about 5-10

with average length arms. (not short and not tall)

Thanks

Brian K

Follow up question.

Please excuse me if this is an obvious one, I haven't bought a regular archery or firearms license in a few years. Looking at my 2007 ALL-SEASON either/or tag down in the bottom right corner it has a check-off area for Archery-Firearms-Muzzle.

Is a eithor/or tag from a regular license this year going to have those options? Did they in the past?

Oh, the confusion if they do!

Thanks for all your help lcornice!

No, the license is only good for one season. The all-season was good for 3 hence the check off.

sorry for another dumb question...

i was just reading the new regs and read that the bonus tags are good for any season (archery, firearm, and ML). Are they also good for different areas? (ie. 222, and 181) I would assume yes, but double checking.