• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Portable Generators

rmh2o

Question

I want to purchase a generator to use primarily for my fish house and would like some opinions.I have looked at coleman 1850 and honda 1000 & 2000 and a few others. Are the hondas worth the extra $$ or has anyone tried any other models?

20 answers to this question

Yes the Hondas are worth the extra money. Once you decide on a model, search the internet for the cheapest price, print it off and bring it into Northern Tool. They will price match any thing from anywhere. I did this and bought the 1000 for just over $600. I wouldn't buy anything else, this thing is so quiet, it will run for 10 hours plus on 0.6 gallons of gas, powering TV, VCR, camera, lights and radio.

Here is another post about Hondas:
http://FishingMinnesota.com/ubb/Forum30/HTML/001486.html

Look at the one from kwkfsh dated: 09-08-2002 01:32 PM, this says a lot.

------------------
fisherman2.gif

[This message has been edited by Grabs (edited 09-16-2002).]

Dave, the Honda that I have, the EU1000IA2 has a built in filter, which "cleans" up the sine wave and makes it friendly to sensitive electronics like TVs, VCRs and computers. Any other generator you will want to be carefull what you hook to it, or check at Radio shack for a filter of this short.

Check out Honda's HSOforum for a better definition of what it is they do.

------------------
fisherman2.gif

[This message has been edited by Grabs (edited 09-16-2002).]

Grabs has the Honda and loves it, you will be able to ask him the same question in 1-3-5 years and he will have the same answer. Along with using various gennys and having the absolute best luck (by far) with the Hondas, I also sold them for a number of years in Alaska. There they are used more often than not as a primary power source. Out of the 1000s that I saw purchased, I could count on the fingers of one hand that had any sort of defect or mechanical problem (and still have fingers left over). If I had to stake my life on a generator the choice would be a Honda and I would have absolute confidence in my decision. True Hondas cost a little more, buit they are worth every penny you pay!

Well,...I guess I asked for that one! Let me clarify, Underwater camera for fish viewing, TV to view the fish on, and VCR to record and capture those great pike strikes on film, and muskie sightings. Lights to observe the cards on the table in front of me, and so I don't mistake my neighbors chew bottle for my beer.

------------------
fisherman2.gif

[This message has been edited by Grabs (edited 09-17-2002).]

You won't regret it, best of all, if you find out you need more juice you can buy another one and hook them together!!

Make sure you follow the owners manual and after the first, I think 20 hours of use, change the oil.

I recieved this e-mail today in response for pricing on the Honda 2000:

We will be unable to fill an order for any Honda products. We no longer carry Honda products. In addition there is a service bulletin out on the EU2000I unit for a possible oil leak in the oil sensing unit. The EU1000I and EX700 has a service bulletin for excessive oil consumption.

Now I haven't had any problems with my 1000, but it is only one year old. Just thought I would post this informaion for all to read.

Where would one find these service bulletins? And are these things that are being fixed?

------------------
fisherman2.gif

[This message has been edited by Grabs (edited 09-19-2002).]

Grabs,
Service bulletins and recall information is usually posted on an OEM's HSOforum. In this case Honda's.
A year ago while researching the wiring diagram for the Warn winch on my ATV I found a service bulletin posted on the Warn HSOforum recalling the solenoids. I wasn't having any problems with mine but, only had to send an e-mail requesting the replacement and I had a spare on the shelf within a week. (I should probably change that thing, but it was only a fire hazard when left idling for long periods.. wink.gif )

Twitter, you sure about that "only when idling for long periods". I thought it included when the solenoid was not activated. Main power is still attached to the solenoid even when deactivated.