• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Hornady SST Slugs

This maybe way early to even think about deer hunting, but I figured the earlier the better and get to the range if needed.

Last season was the 1st time I tried these slugs. I have to say, they truly have great range. I personally wouldn't want to have to take a 200yrd shot, but it's nice to know if I ever do. They can reach far, with accuracy. Last season, I took 3 shots at 3 deer, and all 3 hit exactly where I aimed. The downside is, only 1 went down where they stood.

My 1st deer was about a #150 8pointer @ about 70ydrs. I hit him right in the boiler room, double lung and heart shot. He took off running like nothing happened. I had thought, I'd missed him completely. Until I got out of the tree, and found a good blood trial. I found him about 200yrds from where I had shot him.

The 2nd buck was a #120 4 pointer @ about 30yrds. I hit him with the same shot... He did kick his back legs, and I saw the spray so I knew he was hit and hit good. But he also ran about 100yrds, up a ravine before the dropped.

The 3rd one was a #130 mature doe @ about 130yrds. After seeing the other two run a bit before they dropped. I decided to shoot her in the shoulders. She did go down right where she stood. Then again the bullet broke both shoulders also.

Unfortunately, I wasn’t able to recover any of the bullets. But the only bullet that seemed to have good expansion was on the doe. The entry and exit holes on the buck were about the same size as the bullet.

Just wondering if anyone that has used them, has had the same experience as I did.

I’m not sure if it was just a couple of bionic deer. Which I know at times, they just don’t wanna go down right away. But it did seem a little weird that the exit holes weren’t much bigger then the entry holes. With all that said, I’ll probably still use them, because I know they are gonna hit exactly were I aim. Plus I’ve still got 4 boxes left.

Yes i had the same thing happen with a doe at 100yrds.Right thru the chest blood spray she dropped like a rock then right back up and gone, lost the blood trail eventually and found her 2 days later.They are dead on but i went back to the partition gold by win.When they go down they stay down.

If you like them, stick with them. As for the exit holes, a slugs that his a hard shoulder bone is going to expand more than a slug that goes through the heart/lung area which might only hit a rib. I use the partion gold slugs by winchester and they preform very well for me but if you are cofident in knowing how the Hornady's are going to shoot I would stay with them.

I had the same thing last year, shot a small buck at 125 yds, double lung shot. The deer bent over and took off running about 150 yards, then fell. It was not a problem for me because I shot him in an open field and watched him the whole way. After looking at the deer both the entry and exit holes where the same size. I love the accuracy of the slugs, but I do not think they have much for expansion. I have a buddy that shoots partition golds, and he retrieved a slug from a doe he had shot last year in the chest. It was a perfect mushroom, and expanded just like it was supposed to. After seeing this I think I will be shooting them next year even if the cost 4 or 5 dollars more than hornadys.

Has anyone seen the new remington slugs for this year, I would also like to give these a try.

Both my deer dropped like rocks when I hit them with the SST's. I used to shoot the Golds, one big doe, another year and half old. I switched from the golds because of price and I was had the same thing happen with the golds that you guys are saying about the SST's. Last year was my first year with them so the verdict is still out. I did buy three more boxes this month. I thought that they performed just as well as the Golds. Good to hear other's thoughts though. Deer are big game, they don't go down easy, especially those antlered ones, they are tough as nails.

I use Hornady SST bullets in my muzzleloader. 2 years ago I shot my biggest bull moose ever with a 300 gr SST at 10 yards and the moose went about 30 yards before going down. I did recover the bullet just under the hide on the other side. I did weigh the bullet later on and it was 213 gr. been a good bullet for me and put lots of meat in my freezer.

It's nice to watch a deer drop in its tracks when you shoot it. As long as you are getting pass throughs and a good blood trail I don't see a problem at all. If you put it through the lungs with a slug that expands or not that is a huge hole. I shoot the Remington Core-Locts or something like that, it is a sabot at a very high velocity. They are very accurate but they kick hard. I have shot four deer with them in virtually the same spot, two ran 30-40 yards, and the other two dropped. It is the same thing with my 7mm Remington Magnum, some deer drop right there some run a very short distance. I would keep shooting the same slugs as long as you are happy with the accuracy.