• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

HVAC GUYS QUESTION ?

sparcebag

Way to many variables. Quality and quantity of insulation, windows, doors, exposure.....

FYI, I have a 1100 sq.ft. split entry with a 40,000 BTU furnace. You really should do an accurate heat loss and I would suggest not to oversize.

Just ballparkin,I start the basement next year,I've drawn plans that will change this winter,havent sized windows yet.Got a great deal on a 55000 BTU 80% eff.Most work is myself so year after next framing & roofing,But I will have the winter to do mechanicals & water in the basement or oversized crawl space.Mnnice question, it is yet under 7 ft clearance basement considered crawlspace?? or not legal basement,All I want is storm shelter,mechanial Rm.Storage,And less taxes.

Spend the money on a high efficiency furnace. 93%

In (my) opinion don't buy a variable speed unit. The coast to re-pare is to high

at this time.

Im not saying they don't work well, just to costly to re-pare.

It's a 20 year investment remember.

Don't forget to plum in a drain in your so called crawl space.

I'm with Fastkaw, spend the extra money and get yourself a high efficiency unit. 80,000 should do nicely for you. I would also consider installing an off-peak electric heater in the plenum at the same time. It gives you a little flexability on your heating options an can be installed to work in conjunction with the L.P. depending on your needs. Not to mention a discount on your electric bill. The other advantage to the high efficiency unit is you won't have to install a standard chimney pipe like you will on the 80% unit. The high efficiency units use a simple 2" PVC direct vent that you can run right out the side wall. As mentioned before you will need a drain to run the condensation line to dispose of the water. Good Luck!

Ballparking BTUs (sq ft x 50) Nobody put a non eff in a home anymore without at least some sort of off peak back up I would go with an off peak plenum heater next choice would be a heat pump theres alot of options out there.