Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Jackpine Rob

The Silly Season

16 posts in this topic

We have hunting seasons and fishing seasons. This being a Presidential Election Year, we can add to the list The Silly Season.

The Silly Season has no set starting and end dates, but is distinguished primarily by the heat generated in online forums. Some of us are still trying to recover from the last Silly Season - and it seems that each election cycle finds the start date moving further and further back....

Long-time posters here will settle into their long and deeply held beliefs, and by and large we all know what to expect. Some of us (include me in this group) are conservative types, with a few shading into the libertarian ranks.

Others are of the liberal stripe, with a few drifting toward a neo-Marxian philosophy.

Into this happy mix we are beginning to welcome a few members. Some will be here ONLY in the Outdoor Discussion forum, and we won't see them sharing photography techniques, their opinion of superbraids vs. mono, the best 12 gauge slug barrel, dog training tips, how to grow grass beneath the spruce tree in the backyard or any of the myriad of other topics on FM. After the election, they will slink away, never to be seen/heard from again. Then we will know for sure that the Silly Season has ended.

The nice thing about many of our discussions over the years is that what we have here is outdoorspeople sharing their opinions with each other. I've got a feeling that at the end of the day most of us would enjoy wetting a line (or wetting our whistles) with one another. We have a lot more in common than would sometimes be apparent from the sometimes-heated rhetoric.

Yes folks, the Silly Season is officially open!! Time for me to warm up and prepare to skewer liberals. Given the candidates at both the state and national level, this is what can be referred to as "a target-rich environment".

It is a misfortune, inseparable from human affairs, that public measures are rarely investigated with that spirit of moderation which is essential to a just estimate of their real tendency to advance or obstruct the public good; and that this spirit is more apt to be diminished than promoted, by those occasions which require an unusual exercise of it. – Alexander Hamilton (attributed), Federalist Papers #37.

I generally hold that the election season is one of those "occasions which require an unusual exercise of it" that Hamilton refers to.

Let the partisan wedges be driven!!!

After the election, they will slink away, never to be seen/heard from again. Then we will know for sure that the Silly Season has ended.

Funny you mention that Rob as I noticed that Mr PetePeters hasn't contributed one fishing or hunting post yet wink

That is why I have questioned his motives. In his posts he even talks about other forums like this etc. I have a feeling he is posting his youtube stuff etc. on many other forums not just here. Let's put it this way I don't think he is just a sportsman with a strong political opinion.

JPR....

I don't think I'm going to procure a permit for this years silly season. Even the rhetoric here in silly town is getting old, predictable, and it's not as entertaining anymore. People take this stuff way way to seriously, at least in my opinion. I might poach a little here and there, let off a potshot or two, but I'm not getting elbows deep in this gutpile this year.

I just spent the last five days at my wifes family reunion, anytime anything political was brought up, I just turned away and went and played with one or more of the 23 yard apes running around. But I do confess to getting a strong Obama supporter all riled up at the bar, it was easier than teasing all the kids. wink

Jackpine - you should make the canoeing GTG, I could use some gut-bustin belly-aching laughter listening to some friendly banter between you and my comrades. LOL laugh

That is why I have questioned his motives. In his posts he even talks about other forums like this etc. I have a feeling he is posting his youtube stuff etc. on many other forums not just here. Let's put it this way I don't think he is just a sportsman with a strong political opinion.

My God! YOU are sooooo wrong. Not once have I done any seriouse character attacking of fm members. Why dont you Prove your outstanding Outdoorsmanship to the masses?? Fisher, I actually enjoy reading your posts. If you dont enjoy mine than dont read them.

IMG_0014.jpg

IMG_0009.jpg

A275.jpg

Petepeters, Actually in a odd sort of way I enjoy yours also. And I in no way meant this post as a character attack. Maybe what got me to question your motives is just how fired up you get over these things, almost like you think about it all day, Like it has something to do with your job. I don't know, I am just reaching I guess. A very good friend of mine is a stanch liberal and we have our talks but I have never seen anyone as fired up as you. This could be taken as a complements I guess.

I would post some pictures here but I hate to admit I don't know how. I have a deal, I leave for Alaska this thursday and when I get back someone can help we and I will post some pic's under the Alaska forum.

I just spent three days with my best freind(who is a repub) muskie fishing and we did not talk about politics once. My job is not political related. I post here because its fun. Thats all.

A side note... I was sooooooo dissapointed that jesse decided not to run. anyways. I gotta go load up the boat. I think today I will get my 50. im thinkin' SUICK!

peace.

Darn it Duffer - it might have been a real hoot to hang out with that crowd for a few hours. I could have led a group discussion on why Stalin was right to get rid of Trotsky. Or perhaps participated in the seminar on how to access fishing from the light rail line.

I'm going to be heading westward for a family vacation to the Black Hills and Yellowstone that weekend. I hope to chase a few trout while we're out there - and catching a cutthroat would be great. Last time I got one of those, Nixon was running for President.

Any resemblance to Clark Griswold is strictly coincidental.

Enjoy your time out west with the little Z's. And may the family truckster lead you to trout laden streams (and back again). That's gorgeous country out there, breath it all in. And then come back and poke this bear with a stick known as silly town, ya gonna get into trolling full time this silly season or just set the hook when it looks like one is getting away? wink

I'll take some notes at the GTG for ya, mostly just jot down whose bumper stickers say what. laughlaugh

So you start a subject, get a couple of people interested, and the you go heading for the hills!!!! gringringrin

Don't forget to pick up some truffles in Deadwood and good luck with the fishing. Wave to my sister-in-law and her husband when you drive past their place.

Well, you know the old saying: "the less you know about something, the easier the solutions appear to be"

And some of us are just plain full of it.

Solutions that is. smile