• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Lac Seul at flood stage; LOTW at 90 percentile

From Lake of the Woods Control Board today....

Lac Seul over 100 percentile, which means it is almost never this high. LOTW at 90 percent -- this high only 10 of 100 years...

"The Board advises that water levels and flows are very high in the English River system. Appropriate precautions should be taken.

Lac Seul outflow will be increased to 850 m³/s on Tuesday, July 22nd. This is the highest outflow since 1959. Further increases may be necessary.

The level of Lac Seul is in its flood reserve at 357.0 m (1171.3 ft). The level at Hudson (Lost Lake) is 357.3 m (1172.4 ft). The lake level rose 8 cm (3 in) over the past week and is expected to rise 4-6 cm (1.6-2.4 in) over the next week. Lac Seul outflow will be increased on Tuesday, July 22nd, nominally from 780 to 850 m³/s but subject to re-assessment. This outflow will exceed the maximum outflow during the fall flood of 1992 by about 50 m³/s and will be the highest since 1959, when outflow peaked at 920 m³/s. The diversion of water from Lake St. Joseph into Lac Seul is closed, except for minimum fishery flows.

With an increase to 850 m³/s, the level of Pakwash Lake and the English River below Ear Falls could rise 40-65 cm (16-26 in) above the level on July 21, while the level further down the English River at Grassy Narrows could rise a further 25-60 cm (10-24 in). The level of the lower Winnipeg River could eventually rise about 30-65 cm (12-26 in) below Whitedog and about 25-55 cm (10-22 in) at Nutimik Lake. These estimates are approximate and depend on a number of factors under these conditions.

The level of Lake of the Woods is 323.33 m (1060.8 ft), a 90th percentile level for this time of year. The lake level rose 1.7 cm (0.7 in) over the past week and is expected to change little over the next week. Lake of the Woods outflow is 1030 m³/s.

The level of the Winnipeg River from Kenora to Whitedog continues to be above normal but should be fairly stable over the next week.

If further information is required, please call toll-free to the Board's Secretariat at 1-800-661-5922.''

I would be very mindful of "deadheads" floating around. As long as the water clarity isn't bad, fishing should be fine. Fish shallower than you normally would? Fish, i.e. walleyes may be relating to weed cover that will now be abundant due to rising water. My opinion. I have had better luck fishing rising water than falling water.