• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Catfish Contests (Live Transport)

DTro

Anyone notice that the catches are getting bigger each year wink

I'm not sure that is entirely true... so

I have to ask the question.....

Are the catches getting bigger every year? Or.... Are the catches the same or less, except they getting more "publicized" with fisherman who are getting more experienced every season, as well as the introduction of the Internet and sharing of information on fishing web sites?

I do know that there is a lot more pressure on certain waters over the last couple seasons to the point that we know that some fish are caught repeatedly thanks to CPR, conversely what about potential trophy's getting mortally hooked with the added pressure??

My point..... We have a great fishery. The majority of the participants on this site do an outstanding job of CPR and educating others on conservation. These type of tourneys as they are currently operated are not held in the interest or spirit of conservation of the species.

But to try to compare previous years catches of big fish to the present year catches of big fish is almost like trying to compare apples to oranges, there are to many variables to make a valid comparison listed above. (lack of previous years data, and the involvement of the media) I will state that we are now gathering enough data and info that we will be able to make accurate comparisons moving forward in the future.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hooking mortality and the added pressure is a great concern to me as well.

All we can do is monitor area contests and try to educate that if we want continued success, these big fish need to be released.

The internet and fishing websites are here to stay. My opinion is why not use them as a tool to educate and share information.

I'm well aware that there is group out there that abhores the information shared here and probably mutter "that bleepity bleep that said bleepity bleep about the bleeping fish and the bleeping bite at the bleeping spot"

For me personally it's a small tradeoff for all the great people I've met here.

But yes, unfortunately the "internet" factor is a big one.

......about the fish getting bigger, I guess we'll have to agree to disagree cool

Dtro, are you planning on attending the BP contest? It would be nice to have some one there to inform some of these so called sportsman that fish this contest, some ethics!

Hooking mortality and the added pressure is a great concern to me as well.

All we can do is monitor area contests and try to educate that if we want continued success, these big fish need to be released.

The internet and fishing websites are here to stay. My opinion is why not use them as a tool to educate and share information.

I'm well aware that there is group out there that abhores the information shared here and probably mutter "that bleepity bleep that said bleepity bleep about the bleeping fish and the bleeping bite at the bleeping spot"

For me personally it's a small tradeoff for all the great people I've met here.

But yes, unfortunately the "internet" factor is a big one.

......about the fish getting bigger, I guess we'll have to agree to disagree cool

Easy Mate!!!

You and I have had numerous discussions on this.

My point as stated is that to make comparisons at this point in time may not be the most accurate.

As far as the Interntet here to stay... Yep! And I'm in agreement with you as far as far as educating and sharing info.

If you look at my last statement, with the info and data being shared and accumulated we will be able to accurate comparisons.

But to make the statement of "notice that the catches are getting bigger every year" with out accurate info and data to back it up is "Virtually" the same as what people who support these contests stating that these Catfish Contests (live transport) do not hurt the fishery.

I'm not agreeing to disagree or disagreeing to agree.

All I'm saying is that we have no info/data/facts to support the above statements.

And our opinions....... well thats exactly what they are, opinions.

Are the fish getting bigger? Maybe

Have the fish always been this big? Maybe

Are there more people fishing? Maybe

Are people spending more time fishing? Maybe

Can we make accurate comparisons to previous years with the current info available? Maybe

Are we gathering more info and data as a result of the internet? Yes

Will we be able to make more accurate statements in the future in regards to catch size and mortality rates in these types of contests? Yes

Is Dtro the best catfisherman in KOTC? MMMMMaybe. (testing to see who is really following this discussion) whistle

As far as the my spot bit..... We might have to call back in the Wambulance again........

Yea.... I'm following YOU by 2 spots.... in the KOTC leader board.

funny.

I think I'm about tapped out in the "upgrade" department. Two 40+ pounders in one year is two more than I thought I'd catch this year.

Originally Posted By: LFC
Yea.... I'm following YOU by 2 spots.... in the KOTC leader board.

funny.

I think I'm about tapped out in the "upgrade" department. Two 40+ pounders in one year is two more than I thought I'd catch this year.

I think were both about tapped out... We got maybe 2 more months... Maybe a fish god will shine on one of us.

Time will tell, till then.... keep checkin your rear view mirror.

Quote:

I figure this to be the same as these Catfish Contests. Short of going down on opening day and firing a couple rounds in the air whistle, going to jail and hoping you get out on bail before the next one, I do not see any valid way of stopping them.

It is like ML netting or Global Warming, all you can do is hope for the best or loose sleep thinking about it.

I feel an over whelming hint/sense of liberalism right now from this thread grin. Kind of like “save the whales” and green peace kind of stuff, which is very ok in my book. I am not going as far as P.E.T.A. or anything whistle. Someone has to do something or we end up like Wis, or will we?

All Dtro can do is forward the info found from this thread and the feelings of some of MN River cat fisherman right to the heads of these contest's and hope for a positive reaction. Maybe open an eye or two. That and also forward the info to St. Paul.

Maybe LFC is correct also. We really have no proof these contest have much, if any impact on the flat head fish population in the MN river. Maybe the DNR has counter data to prove something different. Sounds like they are looking at the flat head in more of a positive light now-a-days. Plus we do not have commercial fishing like RAB said Wis. had.

Maybe some look at it like a Hippie walking threw your home town, some just do not want to see that. It is doing no harm, but the mind and testosterone run wild grin.

For the record, this thread was not meant to bash any contests or anyone following the law (remember they are legal). Merely a vehicle for discussion and awareness.

The last thing I would want to see happen is a another vigilante group such as the Musky Mafia come of such discussions.

Sorry, I changed my quote in my last post blush.

Dtro,

The ball is roll'in and it is your frame dude grin.

No, just ribbing ya(with my last post as well). I always wanted to use that fraise grin

I see the need for a thread like this. All of us who have respect for these fish know from word of mouth or here on FM about the contests that are not run the best and it takes a small shove at first to move a mountain.

IMO, there is always, always room for improvement when transporting fish. Most of the guys and gals who run in these tourneys for catfish do not have $1500-$2500 live well systems like the bass pro’s have.

I sure would love to run in the Cats Incredible tourney next year and have been building up my equipment for it. One of my upgrades (still up in the clouds) would be converting a portion of my unused rod locker area in my boat to a some what state of the art live well (with in financial means). The idea started as a state record flat holding pen whistle, but that pipe dream fades as every summer come closer to an end, but it got me thinking.

I can not help people set in their ways, but “I” as an individual can make a difference with how I conduct my self and learn from others (like I have here on FM) on how to keep this hobby I love going for many years and producing fish that I would like to see come from our local waters. Main thing, spread the "word"!

Let me tell ya a little story grin

When I got the flat in avatar a month or so back, I was shore fishing a fairly popular spot for rough fish and walleye‘s. As some of you know, it was caught during a raging thunder storm. Minutes before the storm hit, we had a truck and car pull up next to us. To our amazement, a young kid went out when the storm hit and tossed out a line next to ours and went back in his truck. Sure enough, I got my flat. Every one in his truck got out in the rain and was amazed at the fish I had got. His friend (I will add a very big boy) pretty much (as I remember) got in between me and the shore line. He wanted this flat to smoke it. He figured if I did not want it, he wanted it. I bugged around him and told him (kind of stern), fish like this must be released. He did not get irate or anything, but I could tell he would have loved to keep this fish. I was having trouble getting down the bluff to release the fish, but during this time my brother in-law stepped in and explained what we where doing and what should be done. After I released the fish, I came up talked with the young dudes. I think e struck a cord and they could very well be members of FM right now. I told them about the KOTC and what flat head fishing is about. I know we did well, because the driver of the truck got his first catfish several minutes later. He was so in awe of the fish, after his buddy said he would wanted to smoke the channel he just got, he so “no” and released the fish. I think we struck a cord with these guys and changed their views on these junk fish that they think are just infested in these waters.

Moral of the story, spreading the word is “key” in succeeding in what you think is right. Piece by piece, one person at a time. St. Paul can make a ruling, but as we all know those can be broken. If you instill a sense of pride about these fish in one fisherman, that will spread.

I never got their names or e-mails, but here is this guys first channel that was caught and released.

n938xV0VFf05bZhyoI8P3XGXWTYEzb2Q0300.jpg

vgjqxW6Q5gJZDMD3b2t00BdOIuBubOpW0300.jpg

That is his "big" buddy in the back ground. I think we did change their minds on how catfish are a great fish.

I did not hold them back from smoking the channel, it was they who decided to release the fish (after our talk).

I think if we just express our idea's and thoughts to other's on shore, at the launch or hang'in outs, that will go a long way and could translate into these contest's. I think we are doing good in this forum!

Thanks guys!

Since everyone is busy patting themselves on the back,please answer this question...

Would a true catfishing sportsman even fish for cats during the spawn??? Take a good look in the mirror before judging others.

Would a true catfishing sportsman even fish for cats during the spawn???

I think mother nature has a great protective mechanism in place when you consider how difficult it is to consistantly catch big cats (channels & flatheads) during the spawn. Seams like they take care of themselves during this period.

You can also ask anyone who has been putting their time in the last month how many big cats they've caught and that number will be very, very small.

"The Spawn" and Good catfishing do NOT go hand in hand, not like other species of fish.

Since everyone is busy patting themselves on the back,please answer this question...

Would a true catfishing sportsman even fish for cats during the spawn??? Take a good look in the mirror before judging others.

I would say the few spawning cats that do bite, isnt effected as much as the pile of dead big cats the contest kills every year. I have some pictures somewhere of what this contest is like, but I cant post them, because it is against forum policy! I have sent copies of them to the DNR, and didnt even get a response back! This was about 5 years ago!

"Very, very???"

I love fish. I leave all species alone during their spawn. Perhaps having a get-together during the late stages of the spawn is worse than a fishing contest?

Just Something to think about.

Quote:

kg2, welcome to Fishing Minnesota.

I agree with Hanson. Catfish/flats are not like Bass or panfish. They seem to fast during the spawn, protecting their nests. In some cases (and some experiences) it is a big waste of time fishing for them while they are spawning. Look at the reports as of late. I am a believer that if you are lucky enough to catch a flat when it is spawning, it is because it is defending its territory and not feeding. Plus it is hard to predict when a flat head is going to start to spawn and when they will end. We have an idea of when it happens and when it end, but it is not as predictable as other species of fish. Short of taking a 1 ½ months off during the summer, I try to do my best.

As far as I am concerned, I give every one in this forum a big pat on the back, for being a great bunch of dudes and promoting a great and healthy way to angle for these fish.

Keep it up guys!

kg2, I am not trying to Backdoor ya or nothing, but stick around and find out what these guys are about smile

Perhaps having a get-together during the late stages of the spawn is worse than a fishing contest?

For the record, I did NOT organize the Get-Together, nor did I attend the Get-Together.

Quote:
I love fish. I leave all species alone during their spawn. Perhaps having a get-together during the late stages of the spawn is worse than a fishing contest?

I honestly feel as long as it is catch and release, if you are lucky enough to get a flat during the spawn, their is no more ill effects than when catching them any other time during the Spring, Summer or Fall. I think as soon as they hit the water, they go right back to their nest. Plus if you get lucky enough to catch a female or male while they are depositing their goods, I would suggest buying a lottery ticket.

You make it sound like we are dragging treble hooks and weights during the winter months when they are hibernating.

Quote:
For the record, I did NOT organize the Get-Together, nor did I attend the Get-Together.

Hanson,

So is it because of the Spawn why you did not attend? confusedcrazygrin

Originally Posted By: kg2
Perhaps having a get-together during the late stages of the spawn is worse than a fishing contest?

Hanson, you’re not trying to say you skipped out because of concern that you might be hurting the fish during spawn are you? grin

Kg2, welcome to FM/HSO. It’s nice to see you have the same concerns as all of us do about the fish. It’s pretty easy to practice those ethics with other fish during the spawn as season is closed for most of them.

As far as patting on the back goes, you have the right to that opinion, but the vast majority that frequent this forum, would give the shirt off that same back if they came upon a stranger that needed help on the river. Sometimes judging a person by what they type in an internet forum is a bad way to gauge a person.

I think the spawn period is an issue that needs to be explored. What effects are the fisherman having? Should there be a closed season in July? Lots of unanswered questions.

Originally Posted By: hanson
You can also ask anyone who has been putting their time in the last month how many big cats they've caught and that number will be very, very small.

"Very, very???"

Another stated opinion.

Does having a get-together during the early /middle /late stages of the spawn worse than a fishing contest? Maybe.

Can any correlations be made between that and the spawn? Maybe.

If all fish caught that night were tallied the numbers were really low.

Do all cats spawn at the same time? NO.

Your mention to not fish during the spawn is very noble.

Given the differences of this species as compared to others, and given the spawn cycles makes for a very difficult if not unrealistic comparisons. Which would explain the need for fishing seasons on other game fish and why noodling for cats is illegal in most parts of the country.

Kg2 you bring up some good points. Along with other members. This is how our eyes and minds are opened up with the sharing of thoughts and ideas and............ of course.........opinions.

As far as I am concerned, I give every one in this forum a big pat on the back, for being a great bunch of dudes and promoting a great and healthy way to angle for these fish.

Shack!

If you touch me on the back again.

I'm pushing you in the river with my super anchor tied to your ankles. cool

So how many of you concerned catfisherman will be out and about at these live transport cat contests. Maybe we should be getting more video evidence to show the DNR since they are not present at some of them. I guess I just feel that we would be doing more for the fish by actually getting out and doing something than sitting in front of our computers. I hate being inside anyway grin

After talking with a few DNR people at the New Ulm office last fall about this, I know they know about the issues and said that the fisherman need to contact the DNR and also attend area meetings to state their concerns. They realize they have some issues but others need to say something to them instead of the threads here.