Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Shack

Time To Check Bait Tank Filter's

3 posts in this topic

I checked mine a little over a week an half ago. They weighed about 2lb's each crazy. I have taken Steve D's tip on a quarantine tank stay before they go into the main tank and believe me, the stuff that comes out of these little buggers (minnows, corn and sludge). I do this and still get junk in the tank.

What got me checking was I started to get the grey yuck on my bullies about 3-4 days after they go into the main tank (fresh water). After almost scratching a whole fresh batch with in about 4 days, I started to do some investigating. I pulled my filters and they where packed solid. At that point I also noted the water flow was not as great as when I first started this year. I changed the filters and now after almost 2 weeks, my last fresh batch of bullies is free and clear of the grey yuck spots and living life great. Only if they knew grin.

I keep the tank as cool and change water twice a week.

I use those wal-fart charcoal filters. Anyone have any luck cleaning them?

Holy Cow, I clean mine every other day at the very least.

Dtro,

I am not looking to date them or anything grin

I have been running pretty good with out changing the crabon filter untill a almost a couple weeks back (or cleaning).

I just read back on page 4 of the bully king (Steve D) thread about bait tanks and found this:

Quote:
The first couple years I ran the system I changed out the filters about once a month but last year I only changed the sponge filter one time late in the season and I ran the rest of the filters the entire season. I would rinse them out about once a month when I was doing a water change but that was it and my water was just fine the entire season and the bullheads were healthy and active.

I am running a filter system I think is twice the size, with less water and bullies to filter. I guess I did not remember about the rinse once a month thing. I will start to give this a try.