• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

rod building

slick2526

Question

Hi everyone. Just wondering if some of you out there are custom rod builder? I thought I might give it a try this winter. What would you suggest i buy to start out with? I mean the tools? also, is there any kits to buy on how to get a idea on how to start building rods? thanks for your time.

23 answers to this question

Slick,
I have built a couple rods at the Fly Angler (next to Throne Bros in Fridley). It's a great place to learn the basics before you set off trying to build one at home. Simply buy the blank, guides, reel seat, cork and one of their rod builders will assist you one-on-one. Each rod took about 6 hours (4 visits) to build with a one-time shop fee of about $20.

Rod building is an excellent way to save money and keep from going insane cooped up in the house all winter. Also after you get good at it you can sell a few to your buddies and buy a few new lures or pay for a weekend at the lake.
I buy my supplies from Wild River Outfitters in Marine on the St. Croix. They also have St. Croix 2nd blanks that have cosmetic defects for about 8 bucks a piece.
Also the book Custom Rod Building has many patterns and some good insight on rod-building.

[This message has been edited by Walleye Pimp (edited 09-18-2002).]

Wild River Distributing is located at:
PO Box 223 - Hwy 95 North
Marine-On-St. Croix, MN 55047
Phone-651-433-2217.

I don't think they have a HSOforum at least I have not found it. They have excellent prices! Shop around and I think you'll agree.

CPR

Walleye Pimp,

So...where exaclty is this Wild River Outfitters located? Do know if they have a HSOforum?

I am thinking of buildind a couple or rods this winter, and $8 a blank sounds really cheap. Are these graphite and how bad are the flaws?

Scott

Rodsbyengel... who's he??? Hello Dad. Haven't hear much from you lately. I almost put your name and number on this post, but forgot to. I'd suggest you give my pops a call or an e-mail as he does really nice work. Good with the basics and great with lots of details, bells & whistles, etc.
Scoot

I would suggest hand picking the 2nd rod blanks. I had some of them that are not buildable but was able to save them and use them as pieces for repairing broken rods.
Many of the rods are not sanded wich means they have a spiral finish. I have tried sanding and finishing myself but it is easier to spend the extra 2 bucks and buy the sanded ones.
I would suggest picking up a copy of Custom Rod Thread Art by Dale P. Clemens, (Wild River carries) it. There are alot of patterns and tips in this book.
Also check out the Bargan Cave at Cabela's I have been picking up a bunch of ice blanks for a few dollars a piece.

• we are 'the leading edge' HSO Creators

I just want to vouch for Scoot's Dad...rodsbyengel...
he has a number of very satisfied FishingMN customers.

Sadly, not me though.

I believe he will be a great resource for those of you looking for tips or Custom Made Rods by Engel.

Thanks for the kind words about my pops, Rick. There was a pretty clear hint hidden in there I think. I wouldn't doubt that if you dropped a hint to him in person (see phone number above) he'd act upon it with the understanding that you'd keep saying nice things(if you're satisfied with the product, of course).
I'm biased as all heck, but I'm really impressed with his work. My only regret is that I haven't been able to get out and use his finely crafted tools as much as I'd like to lately.
Scoot

Another vote for Mel Dickie
He tought me how to build rods when I was 14 and have been going to him for pointers ever since.
Rodsbyengle, Where do you live. Maybe we could all get togather and talk rods some afternoon.

My dad lives in Fisher, MN. He doesn't frequent the internet too often. He'll occasionally drop in to see what's up and to check up on the posts, questions, and information that I've been messing with (still keeping tabs on me!)
I'm positive he'll be up for meeting with people to talk fishing and fishing rods. Give him a call at 218-891-4415.
Scoot

I highly recommend rodsbyengle. I purchased 2 walleye jigging rods and they are by far better than anything I have ever purchased in a store. Very fair price too. I was wondering if he does Ice Fishing rods? If so I would be interested in picking up a couple ultra light for pan fishing and maybe a walleye ice rod. Heck while I am asking I need a med/heavy bass-spinning rod.

• we are 'the leading edge' HSO Creators

Sorry Scoot,
that wasn't meant as a hint.

It was only meant to qualify that I couldn't personally verify how good the Custom made Rods were.

I only had the words of other FishingMN members to go on and yes, I've heard Mel Dickie is a local legend with respect to rod building in SE Minnesota, so he's also a good potential candidate to talk to.

Unfortunately, I don't own one of his rods either, so can't comment from personal experience.

Maybe Mel will take that as a hint as well grin.gif

Rick,

No need to appologize, just ribbin' ya.

Pherris,

Yup, he does ice rods too. I got a couple of them last year and love 'em. If you're into aesthetics with your rods get a picture of some of the rods with the walnut wood-work- they are really works of art. I have a baitcaster that is in a display case with walnut wood. I also have a couple of ice rods with wood handles that are sweet. Check them out.
Dad just got back from a rod convention on Sat. Sounds like he learned a few new tricks and taught a lot of people some of his old tricks.
Pherris, if you're interested in getting some rods, I'd suggest calling him (218-891-4415). If he's not at home he's almost definitely at his cabin at LOW fishing (218-634-2020). He doesn't get online too often- as you can tell by his lack of response to your questions. He's not ignoring you, he's just not online.
Scoot

Scoot,
Are you originally from Fisher then? I live in Eastside and my wife is from Fisher. I think I will have to look your Dad up. I have a feeling I might know him.
We should hook up next summer, I fish Big Floyd down by Detroit Lakes quite a bit.
Tully

Yup, I'm a Fisher-boy. What's your wife's maiden name?
As far as Big Floyd- I've never been on the lake, but I love to fish new water. I'm up for it whenever you are.
Scoot

Rumor has it my dad got a couple of calls last night for some fishing rods. Did you get what you want and were you safisfied with the info./service you got from him?

Scoot,
I married Tracy Sorenson. She says she knows you and your Dad. I think I will have to look him up. Christmas is coming and she is wondering what to get me ;-)
Todd Tollefson
"Tully"

Sure, I know your wife and I believe I may have even met you one night at a bar many moons ago (maybe not though- I have a fuzzy memory).
Give my dad a hollar in the next day or so or he'll be at LOW for a while. If you leave a message and don't get a call back, it's because he's up chasing walleyes for a week or two.
Scoot