• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Cash & Dogs

With the $'s being almost = do we need to convert some funds for miscellaneous purchases as in the past or is everyone accepting either currency as equal?

Also I see where dog food is listed as not able to cross the border. Is this the "wet" canned food or all (including dry - kibble type)food? My pooch has a bit of a sensitive system (amazing to me for a Lab) and eats a combo of dry foods that I'm guessing won't be found at Gills in Sioux Narrows. Thanks for any info.

Use your credit card as much as possible. Your bank will get it converted correctly. I believe that some places put their own "surcharge" on conversions, to their benefit. Not sure about the dog food. I have taken mine in the past and never was questioned about the food, but that was a few years ago.

Most credit cards have a conversion fee that can range in the neighborhood of $1 to 4 per transaction. Some can even be a percentage of the total dollars. At one time you could beat the US to CA conversion rate using a credit card, but at an even exchange the coversion charges can add up. Check with your card company to find out thier rates.

The best thing to do is stop by a Canadian bank and exchange the money you need. Don't over do it because you will be charged a commission to reconvert to US.

I've got no clue about the availiblity of dog food.

We cross the border in a truck with a 10 hole dog box and numerous dogs. Haven't been asked about the dogs or dog food. They ask about guns, alcohol and tobacco.

My bank in the cities made exchanging a hassle. We exchange currencies at the stores on the border each way and use credit cards for gas.

Couple of weeks ago I stopped at Menards in Duluth--they charged me 6 cents on the dollar. Paid Canadian. 'Course I forgot something--stopped by Home Depot in Thunder Bay--all I had was my American change from purchase in Duluth--they charged me 6 cents on the dollar too. You can't win on exchange rates.

I used to import all my dog food from the states--not anymore-- no dry dog food allowed--course if they don't ask!!

Agree with using you're credit card as much as possible. But I'm a cash guy so I stop at an ATM in Canada and will pickup some loonies for small things (or things I don't want my wife to see :o). Exchange rate is fair. You may want to mention that you'll be travelling to your bank so an OUS transaction doesn't trigger a fraud alert.

P.S. All this stuff is answered under the permanent crossings post above...

Dry dog food IS allowed, I bring it across all the time and I cross 15-16 times each year.

But it can NOT contain any beef or beef byproducts. Odd.

Mine is lamb and rice so its okay. Make sure it is in the original package.

However, they almsot never ask even about my two dogs in the back of the truck. Out of site, out of mind.

DEFINITELY use a credit card for everything you can. Usually only licenses require cash. Everything else goes on my Cabelas visa which charges me a small percentage, I think .02. It is still much better than the stores or even Canada banks will give you and you don't have to stop and worry about how much to exchnage.

And you are right, when the exchange rate is virtualy even as it is now, both sides are ripping us off with exchnage charges!

when I was up in canada last year we ended up using U.S. dollar at some of the places they matched it dollar for dollar. I suppose that was when the U.S. dollar was lower than the canadian dollar

I just got back from Canada this past week. Most places would accept US Dollars, but would ding you on the conversion 1.05 US = 1.00 Canadian.

When I exchanged money at the bank they did it dollar for dollar.

marine_man

If you are trading dollar-for-dollar you are losing money. The US dollar is woth $1.02 today in Canada dollars.

So the Canada banks are taking the 2 percent. Usually they take more.... and when it really is dollar-for-dollar, they cahrge to convert so you end up with less than a dollar...

Not like the old days in '02 when the US dollar had a 45 percent advantage!!!! That made Canada cheap. Now its just good hunting...

Anyhow, you are still better off using a credit card than putsing with currency exchange unless your card has an unusually high foregin currency fee charge... every time you exchange cash money, either side of the border, the money changer takes a cut...

FYI