• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

New Polaris'

Roofer

I'm not that involved yet to be able to see it in person. If I was, I would have seen it awhile ago probably.

It is said that the official release will be tonight or tomorrow.

Have you seen them yet?

Originally Posted By: Roofer
Ya, you are right, but even if it has to be registered as class 2, most of the trails accept class 2 atv's.

It can't even be registered as a Class II at this point. They're (Class II's) even restricted to a displacement of 800cc.

Anything over the 800cc limit has to be registered as an OHV and can only be used in areas such as the Iron Range OHV trails and private property.

This has had me thinking.........I have seen plenty of T-Cat's out and registered. I wonder how that was done????

However, the book also says....

ORV's weighing under 1500 lbs are also registered as class 2 ATV's. no mention about the displacment.

From page 6 of the Regulations Book:

Class 2 ATVs are motorized flotation-tired vehicles with at least

three but no more than six low pressure tires that have an engine

displacement of less than 800 cubic centimeters and total dry

weight of 900 to 1,500 pounds.

NAMA is correct in that OHV's under 1500 lbs are registered as Class II ATV's (stated under the above quote), but there is a dispalcement limit regardless. My guess is the laws will be re-written for next year with this "new class" of machine.

My interpretation is anything over the 800cc limit falls out of the ATV class, regardless of weight. It may be a case of weight is the presiding factor here and not the displacement.

I used to think the oppisite I used to have 250 trail boss and a 350 the first 4 wheel drive. never had a problem with either machine. I gave my cousin the 250 trail boss a few years ago He still uses it at his cabin. last year I bought 700 efi. my thoughts have since greatly changed. I'll just say that my truck has the way to the dealer memorized. never again I am so dissapointed.

Just because your truck had problems and had to go back to the dealer, leave the Popo out of it. smile

Some of you are right though. Polaris's are no good. Don't buy one. wink

That way I won't have to haggle on price if there is less people who want them.

Just because your truck had problems and had to go back to the dealer, leave the Popo out of it. smile

Some of you are right though. Polaris's are no good. Don't buy one. wink

That way I won't have to haggle on price if there is less people who want them.

Agreed, you don't like you don't buy. If you would rather not have the most comfortable ride then go with another brand.

I am by no means a die-hard Polaris rider but so far I haven't seen a machine on the market that I would rather own, some may have some nice features but overall I am satisfied with the Polaris's that we have owned. Either this winter or next winter I may look into one of these new 850's once I find out if they are making a mounting kit for them to work with tracks although I may consider picking up a new RZR instead as I know they have a kit for it.

A few things I noticed........

The price on the Sp800 has dropped from 8599 to 7999 for '09.

So, going on MSRP from last year of 8599 on an 800 to 8999 on a '09 850 isn't too bad of a price increase for an entirely new machine.

The 850 sits 3" taller than the 800.

The 850 with EPS has 4.75 gallon gas tank and without EPS 5.25. These both over the 800 at 4 gallons.

They say the new 550 XP has 40 hp, which is supposed to be more than the 500 EFI. I thought for sure the 500 HO was rated at 38 HP and the EFI was at 40?????????

This is the info I rounded up about the bigger cc atv's.......

"Regarding the "Class 1" atv's that are over 800cc they are being registered as ORV's. They don't meet the definitions for an ATV so they get bumped up to ORV group. Polaris has been talking to us and we expect some legislative language change again but have not seen anything at this point. We have those Japanese trucks out there that want to get in as ATV's as well so we need to careful."

I'm not sure what is going to happen now.

Has anyone been by Moon Motorsports in Monticello? I was driving by on 94 and swear I saw one of the new XP models, don't know whether it was the 550 or 850, but I'm pretty sure that's what it was. I was hearing that it was going to be Oct or Nov by the time we'd see 'em.

It's a 550 and it's on their HSOforum. They say a few weeks for the 850's, but time will tell.

Still cannot legally be a class 1 atv. The new handbook comes out the end of the month, and a legislative session with ATVAM, (AC and Popo included) is in December.

Finally a machine you can take from the dealer to the trails without having to buy anything aftermarket. (well maybe tires smile )

This is what I meant..........

From atv Riders

Minneapolis, MN (8/6/2008) - Nine days ago, Polaris Dealers got a look at the brand new and 2009 Sportsman 850 XP in Las Vegas, Nevada. The question was asked is it truly as good as it looked? Daryl Rath wanted to answer that question with a podium finish and he did! Straight from the bright lights of Vegas to a cross country track in Iowa, Rath put the machine to work and raced a two hour cross country endurance race. The IATVHSS Series event was held at Decatur City, Iowa, on Aug 3.

With an impressive first showing, Rath placed second in the Pro Utility Class. Rath stated, “It was important for me to keep the ATV as stock as possible. I knew this was a contender right off the showroom floor and I wanted to prove that.” He added, “It was going to be a challenge in itself racing a brand-new, just-released ATV against some highly modified 4x4 race ATVS, but I was up for the challenge. These guys racing have exhaust systems, clutching, motor work and suspension on the race machines, I put on some Dunlop Tires with Tireballs, and a Precision Steering Stabilizer and headed for the line.”

With temperatures topping 103 degrees the heat was going to be as much of a factor as the track. The course ran through fields, some tight tree sections and deep creek bed crossings. Rath and his Sportsman 850 XP found themselves in second place after a large bottleneck, continuing to push forward the remainder of the race and successfully closing the gap on the leader.

“We have the benchmark we were looking for, and now know what this ATV can do,” Rath said. “There were a lot of people behind me in this program and they’re all very excited to be involved with such a great new machine.”

i have raced in this iatvhss series for the last 3 years, rath at the previous race to this one also placed 2nd on the 08 sportsman.

yes he got beat but he got beat by one of the best utility racers in the nation that has a pretty good resume of wins on a national level.

rath also became the first person ever to place a sportsman on the podium at a gncc race earlier this year. i cant wait for the the gncc summer break to be over and see what he does on the new sportsman now.

I had and opportunity to take an 850XP for about half a day on Saturday. I can't decribe how impressed with the machine I was. The power was unbelievable!! Pulls like a 600cc snowmobile on hardpack! I used it to pull a drag section around the gravel driveway and it was beautifull. The steering is effortless and the power delivery is smooth as silk in low range for pulling. Then I took it for about a 6 mile burn around the neighborhood on some rough trails and the suspension is awesome with the new a-arm front! By far the most impressive A.T.V. I have ever ridden and I have owned 6 of them from 250's all the way to Sportsman 700's! Power delivery in high range was smooth and precise with a top speed @ around 72! This thing was awesome,if I had the cash I would be at the dealer a.s.a.p picking one up!

Thanks for posting your impressions. I drive a "supposed" hard steering Kawi now. I think the non EPS will be good for me. I'll save a few bucks for tires and a winch and not worry about the EPS going out.

Roofer, speaking on winches. If I could do over,

I should have got one with a remote control. I was

up to the fenders in some nasty bog, and had to have

a buddy get in with me to help get the new Brute outta

there. I could have done it all myself if I had the remote

styled unit. Poor judgement and stock tires will do that

to a fella!! Who needs EPS anyway, when your front tires are off the ground most of the time too..I suppose one could use it to easily steer around those slow-pokes in front of ya smile