Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Roofer

New Polaris'

50 posts in this topic

New 850, 550 sportsmans and Rzr's........

850 V-twin, new suspension, EFI, power steering.

What does everyone think?

I like the idea of the larger motor, V-Twin, and power steering, but all it really is at this point is another "ATV" that can't be ridden on MN's ATV trails (legally).

I would hope that AC and Polaris have their lobbyists working on getting this changed.

Ya, you are right, but even if it has to be registered as class 2, most of the trails accept class 2 atv's. It still would be a disadvantage though, wouldn't it?

I'd be putting money on it that the law will change to 900 cc by the time this thing hits the showroom.

On the other hand I notice that for 09 the Outty 800 actually lists their engine size. They have it marked at 799.99 cc's.

I had heard aboyt the power steering, rolled front A-arm suspension, etc.

I would like to see some better pictures of it. Athough I am now positive that when I was at the dealer begining of june this is what I saw getting unloaded covered with a sheet. The new rims are a dead giveaway.

I am undecided about the look of the new front end. Howevere I am happy to see they finally raised the radiator.

Once I can see and drive one of these I may have to get rid of my 2008, but only if I can use my tracks with the new model. I am itching for power steering in the winter.

popo_1.jpg

popo2.jpg

popo3.jpg

Razor.jpg

Ya, you are right, but even if it has to be registered as class 2, most of the trails accept class 2 atv's.

It can't even be registered as a Class II at this point. They're (Class II's) even restricted to a displacement of 800cc.

Anything over the 800cc limit has to be registered as an OHV and can only be used in areas such as the Iron Range OHV trails and private property.

Looks like they're following Yamaha's footsteps with the P.S. and the rolled A-arms. The look of them are but-ugly to IMO. Wonder what the 850 will weight? Looks like dry weight is close to 800 lbs! Last wheeler on the ice for fishing! shocked It's about time they came out with a V-twin.

Looks like dry weight is close to 800 lbs! Last wheeler on the ice for fishing! shocked

If the 100lb-150lb difference in weight means that you are the last on the ice it probably means the ice itself isn't that safe and you should still be walking.

Somethingfishy typed: "you should still be walking".

Well, in that case, if you own a popo you will be walking anyhow! laugh

Yep sure will, all the way to the front/back of the machine to hook the winch up so I can help tow jltimm's machine. cool

I can't wait to see Honda's new 850cc machine with 3-wheel drive, centrifugal clutch (like g-karts), drum brakes front and rear, and a whopping 12.5 hp.

Boy you really have a special kind of hatred for Polaris don't you? I used to think the same way years ago but they have come quite a long ways in a few short years, that's for sure. Besides I've been pulled out of a few mud holes by Polaris’s, that heavy weight can be your friend! laugh

When I heard they were coming out with an 850 I thought they'd put it in a renegade type utility, kind of a new scrambler with 4x4. That announcement might be coming later though. It's kind of weird seeing a Polaris without the McPherson struts. I thought those were the reason the Polaris rode so good.

What is selling me is the power to weight ratio and finally getting rid of the struts. I knew that was coming because the agreement with McPherson is up.

Finally a machine you can take from the dealer to the trails without having to buy anything aftermarket. (well maybe tires smile )

What is selling me is the power to weight ratio and finally getting rid of the struts. I knew that was coming because the agreement with McPherson is up.

Finally a machine you can take from the dealer to the trails without having to buy anything aftermarket. (well maybe tires smile )

So what aftermarket stuff should I be adding to my 2008 800 popo besides the tires???

Thanks

Dan

The way it looks, you don't need anything more (is there anything? smile ) than what you have.

What I meant by that is the suspension, tires, and powerplant are trail ready compared to other models. Now if the price tag will be under an Outty??????

The main things Polaris lacked IMO was sportier suspension, and more power (V-twin) for their weight. 11.1 compression, wow!! I wonder if premium will be a must.

I guess I should have been more specific grin. It's time to open the barn doors and let some more horses out crazycool. With running the Mattracks in the winter I do lose a little. Not sure on the 27" ITP's.

The motor is not a V-twin it is an inline.

This correct?

If so, I'm glad I wasn't the one putting it in print on the cover of a magazine.

Typo or misinformation, one of the two. It's NOT a V. It may appear that way because the motor sits in the chassis inline instead of the tradtional way. The clutches sit behind the inline twin at a right angle to the way they were located on a traditional Polaris ATV. The clutches are behind the engine under the seat area instead of in the left footwell area.

It's not a V, and it's not a even firing parallel twin like the 760 right? But yet it also shows dual throttle bodies and +-20 more HP than the 760......Will be nice to have correct info here real soon.

If it was a transversly mounted V-Twin, it would look like a Moto Guzzi with cylinder heads/knee bashers sticking out each side. grin

It looks like on the spec sheet, it shows the 850 as a V-Twin and the 550 an inline.

I definitely excited to throw my leg over this new ride, especially with the new CC's and A-arms. Although, it does look like it got hit with an Ugly Stick!!

The spec. sheet from the previous page is wrong, as I mentioned before, either a mis-print or they obtained the wrong information. The 850 is NOT a V-twin it IS an inline and it is Not an even fireing or parrallel fireing twin like the old 800's are. Each cylinder strokes and fires opposite. It is a completely new engine for Polaris. Again for those who are still in question.......It is not a V. smile

Thanks NAMA. Looks as though we will all find out tonite.