• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

2004 Silverado - Back end Noise

I have a rattle in the rear end of my '04 Silverado that I havent been able to locate. It occurs virtually anytime I hit a bump. My first inclination is that it might be the brake pads rattling. (I did replace them last Fall) However, the noise is there even if I am applying the brakes. I have looked things over and dont find any obvious problems with the shocks, springs or anything else. The shocks do seem a bit weak, and probably need to be replaced, but they dont appear to loose or broken. Any suggestions or things other folks have found??

Shack, thanks much thats a dang good suggestion, I should have thought of that! I have check most everything suggested so far and havent got it yet... Will keep lookin...

I should have said check the box mounts and mounting hardware. We had a 2003-2004 F-150 once that has a mysterious rattle and I drove a tech around in the box and he pinpointed to a loose mount and rattling washer.

Good luck!

I had a noise in the back of my Silverado that took me a while to pin point also. Thought it was loose shock because it would happen every time I would his a bump. Not sure if there is a name for them but it ended up being the bump stops on the leaf springs clicking every time they were compressed. Endedn up cutting up an old rubber tube and using a few tie wraps to hold them in place. No more noise.

Good idea, that is about where I thought the noise was coming from originally, thats why I was thinking possibly a broken spring or shock. The isolators are still there and I looked them over pretty good, and was a bit suspicious of them. I will put some rubber padding in there and see if that helps.