• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Another one of them questions...

Hey guys. You did so well diagnosing my last mysterious noise problem I will try another.

2000 GMC Yukon XL 4X4. 150,000 miles.

While my brother and I were approaching our favorite lake launch and slowing down to a crawl in the stagging area to prepare the boat for launch we heard a noise coming from what seemed to be the front end of the vehicle. Now it wasn't a click click click or a clunk clunk clunk. It was somewhere in between. It only was audible while the vehicle was moving at very slow speeds(crawling along)and as the speed increased so did the sound only to be drowned out by the higher speed.

My brother is confident it is the U joints. Is there a way to check these to see if they need replacing?

Any other thoughts besides U joints?

Thanks for your replies and keep up the great information that you provide on this forum...

I wanted to say "axle u-joint", but on the 1500 model, I am not sure they have them on that year.

Could be shield or brake pad wear indicator also. Could rust pitted rotors also.

Thanks for jumping in shackbash and airjer.

We will be taking a closer look underneath tomorrow.

I was thinking wheel bearings myself but my brother overrules any thoughts or ideas I suggest.

HEY! He's younger then me. Can he do that?

Thanks again and I will post our/his findings...

It was the u joint on the front shaft. He put in a new one and everything is fine.

I forgot to mention that on my previous "mysterious noise question" of the whining noise coming from the rear of vehicle which was diagnosed by you fellah's as fuel pump and someone suggested replacing fuel filter to lessen the noise...well that was dead on also and the noise is considerably less audible.

Thanks so much for your knowledge and help. gringrin