• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

since when its dog's fault?

went out on flake this am with fellow fmer, croix. after hittin weedlinesn bar n some structures with only one spooky follow to show for it.. as i dropped croix off,i was heading to lake 2 so had to took the channel, as some1 was working on channel for muskie so i decide to slow down n give er room. as the guy i was watching startin to shoutin n bend his back as he hooked up the ski at boatside. the rod was bendin like crazy! other guy just stand there with net in the hand just watching the show. as in the progress of fightnin the dog in boat got up n just stand on the deck waggin the tail watchin the guy... when muskie surfaced and shake its head, the guy lost it. and he startin to swear, feets stompin, hit the water with rod, yelling at net man, and startin to beat the dog with the hat..............

this got me thinkin... since when its dog's fault that the guy lost the fish?? i m fine with swearin, break rod in half,feet stompin, slammed hat in ground, curse in name of god, and yell at netman. i m fine with it but beat the dog with the hat? come on. its just a fish for cryin out loud. maybe its his fish of lifetime, but come on the dog are our best buddies...

so this got me thinkin, when bring your dogs do you guys blame your dog when u lost the muskie at boatside?

matty,

Sounds like it was kind of funny at first then it got a little frustrating to watch for you..... For me, sad to hear since I lost both my dogs last year WAY too early in life and would trade 100 muskies to have the girls back in the boat with me.

Sounds like the old saying of there's no such thing as a bad dog, just bad dog owners. I loved taking them out with me, but I knew what I was doing and put the fun of being out and getting them out of the house first. If I was going all-out serious fishing, I left 'em at home. That said, they were well trained and never a bother. Sometimes I was glad to have an extra 150lbs of dogs to help weigh the bow down!

Fishing should be fun, the day I ever get that worked up over a lost fish regardless of why (usuallly my fault by the way!!) I hope someone comes over and takes my rod away from me..... Heck, I'd probably have had an ulcer already if that was the case!

Any luck for you on Flake?

I fish with my dogs all the time and would never blame them for anything. That's taking this a little to seriously, they just love being in the boat, and besides, they're not the one who lost the fish, i would be that moron.

I can understand your frustration watching this unfold, I can only hope the angler hasn't done it before and doesn't do it again....that's not right.

Funny story...

Couple years ago on 'tonka I went to adjust the front locator and naturally the dog came to see what I was doing. I gave her a good ear tussle and pat....only to look back and see my Suick being rolled over by a muskie.....waving her fins at me as she did it! She looked pretty solid too! I laughed.....Stupid ME!

I'll have to look and maybe scan it if I have to, but I have a pic of my lab sitting on the front triangle of the bow, looking intently as I was fishing. Fall, I'm in camo, and she's dialed in.... Pretty cool pic!

matty,

Sounds like it was kind of funny at first then it got a little frustrating to watch for you..... For me, sad to hear since I lost both my dogs last year WAY too early in life and would trade 100 muskies to have the girls back in the boat with me.

Sounds like the old saying of there's no such thing as a bad dog, just bad dog owners. I loved taking them out with me, but I knew what I was doing and put the fun of being out and getting them out of the house first. If I was going all-out serious fishing, I left 'em at home. That said, they were well trained and never a bother. Sometimes I was glad to have an extra 150lbs of dogs to help weigh the bow down!

Fishing should be fun, the day I ever get that worked up over a lost fish regardless of why (usuallly my fault by the way!!) I hope someone comes over and takes my rod away from me..... Heck, I'd probably have had an ulcer already if that was the case!

Any luck for you on Flake?

i do have a dog. i dont let her come oftens shes a lil hard to control but if i lost fish i wldnt hit her. i wld just laughing at her like i did few weeks ago....

as on flake only 1 spooky follow in the am and for night fishin rebel9921 lost one, and i had one follow.... still cldnt figure out night flake muskie yet.

That guy's pretty dumb... he shouldnt be fishing at all if that means his dog's suffering from his blow ups...

Yeah Matty... it was fun hauling butt to Walfart because of the danged trolling motor... but at least we made it back to the lake for the rest of the night...

Sure felt good having that short fight... too bad it came off the hook...

Reminds me of my dad with our old dog Brandy in the boat. Dog bit at the fish and got hooked with the fish. Then trying to unhook the dog my dad got hooked, so the same lure had a 2lb northern, a 50lb dog, and a 200lb man. This was prior to digital cameras so we never got a pic, but it would have made a good one.

My other good dog story is when we at my uncles place. He wanted to give all the family the lake tour so we overloaded the pontoon. It was going along fine until the dog walked toward the front and it started to nosedive. So we blame the dog for nearly sinking the boat.

The dogs are spoiled though, we even gave them their own mattress on the floor to sleep on. We brought them to the lake last week and they sat on the van's seat and my brother sat on the floor in the back (we had removed the back seat to haul stuff up).

I would have thrown a fat spoon at the guys face (easier said than done) along with a few words.....you can throw a fit and act immature in front of your fishing buddy, but don't ever blame/hit a dog. Heck, In all honesty I'd hit a friend in the face before I ever hit my dog. Sorry for the rant, I just have no time in life for people who abuse/neglect animals. Although, the mental image of seeing a guy whack his buddy in the face over a lost fish is quite amusing/ridiculous. smile