• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

metro bowhunters resource base

tednugefan

Check out their HSOforum. Although they are a non-profit I cannot link it so you'll have to google it. Check out the instructions. FIll out the form, print it and send it in if you can complete all the requirements.

You will need the form, $15 and you have to complete the Bowhunter Ed class and a shooting qualifier by the time of a hunt orientation if you get drawn.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The bowhunter ed class is the key. The rest is pretty easy once you have that.

The other thing to keep in mind is that if you get drawn you will have to attend a mandatory meeting for the hunt. They are typically during the weekday evenings.

I read in the Outdoor News that Veni Donation will continue this year. It is technically up to you to find the nearest processor that accepts donations, but the Coordinators had a pretty good idea last year. One of them was in Oakdale which is pretty central to many of the Ramsey Cty hunts.

I didn't donate any deer because I have a long list of people who will take them from me. You can ask at the beginning of your hunt if anyone would like some of your deer. I tagged more than one deer last year form other guys.

Most, if not all, of the drawings were done yesterday and today so if you applied check online now. I was drawn for Tamarack which is exciting for me as it is just north of where I work.

Has anyone here ever hunted Tamarack? I don't know the property (yet) and I'm #2 in the draw so I should be able to get a good spot.

Brad find the apple trees.

Will do, but as I understand it there are several places on the property that carry them. I wasn't able to scout much over lunch today, but I guess I should look for the apple trees closest to the thickest bush.

This was the first year for me applying. To be honest it seemed like a lot of hoops to jump though to do these METRO hunts. Online test, shooting test, field day, pay for this, fee for that and hope you get drawn. I wish they could have make it simpler. However, on the flip side it helps assure those who realy want to hunt local and should be allowed to hunt local do get that chance. That being said I am happy to say that I was picked for the Battle Creek hunt and an alt. for the Crosby Farms hunt.

Looking forward to a new venture to add to my hunting portfolio.

Hoottooten

I will be hunting the other private farm that borders it so chase some my way. grin

When are you going in, and what direction? I'll be in there tomorrow with 20 other guys and might be watching them run your way. I'll be on the island hill by the road.

This is my third year hunting MBRB and have enjoyed my previous years. I personally think the "hoops" they make you jump through are very minimal. They don’t want morons hunting parks where they will do more harm then good. I hope they update their HSOforum though and maybe include a preference if you choose more then one location. This is my first year hunting Battle Creek and unfortunately I am not familiar with that area. Any help would be appreciated.

I've done MBRB for over 5yrs and its been mostly a positive experience.

Fortunately the bowhunter ed course is a one-time deal. Next year you only have to do your application, member dues and shooting proficiency. The "hoops" are necessary and after you hunt a year or two you'll see why. I've hunted several sharpshooter hunts including a few special invite hunts that aren't open for applying. Oakdale and Shorewood started out that way. Despite the extra restrictions and scrutiny, we still have had several people wound deer and break cardinal rules of MBRB, just to hunt in the city or to get a shot at a metro buck, even if taking a buck isn't allowed for that hunt.

As far a choosing preference, its a tough thing to do. It adds complication to the process. Its a small-time operation run by volunteers and up until two or three years ago, everything was done by written application. With over 500 applications and each person selecting several hunts it would create quite the mathematical headache without additional resources. If someone is a programmer and would like to help out on this I'm sure they would welcome a volunteer.

I take MBRB for what it is. It is a chance to hunt close to home, with high deer densities on properties that are pre-scouted. I have taken 2 does a year since joining MBRB and I love it.

I was drawn for the Little Canada sharpshooter hunt. Anyone else get drawn yet?

I live in Little Canada so I was hoping to get drawn for that hunt since I see deer early morning all the time. Instead, I got drawn for Polar, but I am just happy to get drawn for a metro hunt this year.

Wow, glad for you.

I've been a member for a couple years now and put in for hunts in the hennipen area near home, never got drawn yet. wondering how many people have had similiar results? It would be nice to see the stats on # of people applying for these hunts, then maybe I might put in for a less applied for hunt that is a little farther away.

I did not want to put in for too many hunts but maybe this is what one needs to do?

I usually apply for 8-10 hunts and have been drawn every year for 5 years. I'd really like to be picked for the one a mile from my house, but I never get it.

I would like to know the applied for/picked ratio as well. But I don't think that MBRB publishes it.

I have been a member of MBRB for several years and I have been drawn every year. They are done by random draw using computer software. I will go out on a limb and say I know exactly how this process works and I've heard the stats being talked about.

The only way people do not get drawn for hunts, is if they limit themselves to less than 5 hunt choices. If you decide you only want to hunt a couple places near your home, then its like any other limited draw style hunt, you are reducing your odds. Yes it might be a pain to drive 45-60 mins to hunt "in the metro", but its a small price to pay to hunt a limited draw hunt that is semi-guided in a high deer density area.

I won't give the exact info, but the more hunts you apply for, the better your chances. Branch out and try a few new places and you may get surprised.

Yea, I got picked for one of the hunts in the second drawing! I know I will be going to the orientation meeting and find out all the details but if anyone who has done it in the past wants to endure my Q's, send me a pm or email...

And for the second drawing I upped to all the hunts and that prob what helped me get drawn.