• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Best types of gas for the boat?

mnfinsandfur

Being from Minnesota it is getting harder to find ethanol free gas for the boat, most of it is 10%. Has anyone heard of any problems with using 10% ethanol in the boat? I’m running a 2004 60hp Merc, oil injected……….

You need to put Non-Oxy Gold in your motor, there is no ethanol in it. I been using it for the last 6 years in all my outboards, chainsaws, lawn mower, weed eater, anything except my truck. It's a diesel, if it was gas - I would put it in there also.

Go with Non-Oxy Gold, it's a little more expensive, but it's alot better on your motor and you will get better milage.

I'm not a big fan of oxygenated fuel either but at $4.00 a gallon for the cheap stuff it works fine in my Yammie 40 hp 2 stroke. I use it in everything I have and have never had a problem. Easier to find and a lot cheaper too.

You will probably hear differently from the more techeeee people on here, but I have had never had a problem with ethanol blends. I just make sure to use Stabil over the off season. I use it in my snowblowers, lawnmowers, gas trimmers/chainsaw, ice auger...

If you can't find it you can't find it.. simple as that.

There's no harm done in running the lower grade gas, as long as it meets the minimum octane requirements specified by your motor manufacturer.

If you use the gas quick enough it's not an issue. If you don't I'd be sure to use a fuel stabilizer.

marine_man

The only reason to use premium is for motors with a higher compression ratio. The higher octane rating means it has to get to a higher temperature to spontaneously combust. If gas spontaneously combusts before the spark, it causes engine knocking.

for small engines i usually use premium, for a vehicle i think it is a waste of money unless they call for it.

I have a 1967 Chrysler outboard and have always used 87 octane. I rebuild my carb and fuel pump every 3 or 4 years and the cost is under 30 bucks total for both kits. The key thing with gas is to always buy it from the same place. Different companies use different additives and if you mix them additives it is almost like napalm. It can create a sludge that is hard on the carb. I live next to SA and I always buy gas there for my gas cans and never have a problem with it. I have read that higher octane gas tends to not burn as well leaving higher carbon deposits in motors. The main reason most people use higher octane gas on an outboard is because it is the only kind available that is non oxygenated.

Mine is so old the factory manual recommeds lead substitute. I feel bad enough when I loose a lead sinker in a lake but using the stuff in my gas just seems wrong.

but I have had never had a problem with ethanol blends. I just make sure to use Stabil over the off season. I use it in my snowblowers, lawnmowers, gas trimmers/chainsaw, ice auger...

Exactly! I have NEVER had any fuel related problems in anything I own, from snow blower to boat motor. I treat the gas with either Stabil or Seafoam as directed. Some of my stuff is lucky to get two tanks a year run thru it and I've never had a problem. Save the high octane stuff for what needs it, use what the manufacturer recomends as far as octane rating.

Most motors (dating back 30+ yrs) are designed to run 87 octane gasoline. The problems with ethanol are:

1. Alcohol can damage older fuel lines/seals, etc.

2. Alcohol acts as a solvent, removing "varnish" left by gas sitting in the carb/tank. This crud can then end up in the cylinder eek

3. Alcohol will absorb water and separate from gasoline if left to sit for an extended period, this will cause major problems for your motor.

If you plan to use ethanol a lot, consider doing this

Good to add a water separator if you use ethanol based fuel.

New motors, 8-10 yrs old, should be fine using 87 octane E10, but you should check your manual to be sure.

I use the non-oxy with a stabilizer when I know I'm not going to run through the fuel quickly. If I need to fill and I know I'm going to use it, I'll use 87 to save a few bucks.

If you want to see a list of locations throughout the state that carry non-oxy gas, go to the MN Street Rod Assoc HSOforum. It is a pretty comprehensive list.

The whole thing is that the lower octane fuel creates less carbon buildup in the engine (that is the advantage of using the 87 over the 91). If you are old enough to remember the days of high compression engines in cars they used to talk about taking her out and blowing the carbon out of it. This is because the high test fuel tended to carbon up the engine in 'round town driving and it was thought that going out and running the car up the highway real hard would clean it out some. (this does not work in a two stroke because the two stroke actually burns the oil and makes the carbon sticky and hard as opposed to a sooty dry coating). Can't say if it really worked but alot of people did it. Carbon will get behind the rings and cause premature wear or possibly even hard part damage like a broken ring jamming in a port and dropping a cylinder. People believe that octane makes a fuel more explosive. The opposite is what is actually true. It controls combustion allowing for a more complete burn. This is where the power comes from. The expansion is lasting longer during the powerstroke. The down side is this "retardant", octane, creates soot because it burns cooler. I'm sorry for lecturing. I will stop now. Hope this helps.

Hey guys,

The question/issue wasn't about running regular/silver/gold fuel he wanted to know about running e-10 if it was ok or not for his motor.

I would suggest against it, but if you can't find any in your area then you are out of luck.

Like casey mentioned, it is easy to find in Northern MN.

I believe that any motor designed and built within the last 20 years is going to be designed for use with 10% blend. It would not be in the best interest of the manufacturer not to do so.

Outfitter, you sound a lot like most of us south of the border did when 10% blends first hit the market. After running non-oxygenated for years before, the sudden change to ethanol blends dislodged and dissolved build-up of crud that pre-ethanol gasolines left behind. The result was plugged fuel filters and an initial fear of using ethanol blends. I believe that 10% ethanol is now beginning to move north of the border into your neck of the woods and now you too are going through the same scenario. Take heart. Once your systems clean up they'll adjust just fine.

I would suspect that a 2004 outboard should not be a worry. I know my 1998 90hp Johnson 2-stroke recommends 87 octane and does specify 10% ethanol is fine.

As far as using high octane non-oxygenated and getting better results. I beg to differ. I know for a fact that my 2001 F150 loses performance and mileage drops by about 15% if I use it. My Johnson outboard also performs more poorly. It is harder starting and just plain more sluggish. I believe the engine was tuned and timed for the reaction of 87 octane and using 91 or 92 octane along with its resistance to ingnition throws the timing off just enough to reduce performance. It's very small without a doubt but my vehicles have shown it in terms of performance.\

I will agree that the biggest concern is long-term storage. Using fuel stabilizer can help protect you by extending the shelf life of the fuel. Although, I have never experienced issues with it myself. My chain saw gas has been as much as three years old and worked fine including what was in the saw. Same is true with my ice drill, riding lawn mower, push lawn mower (maybe use it once a year), and garden tiller (used twice a year). I don't use stabilizers in any of these but I will say that the one time I did use it in my boat, I did notice that its performance for that first tank in the spring was a little better than previous years.

Bob

I've been using ethanol/10% blend in my pickup, 140 Suzuki fourstroke, ice auger, etc...and have had nothing but expected performance. Any manual I've ever read says that it can burn "up to 10% ehtanol".

I've also ran the 87 blend in everything that I have owned...from a mower from the 80's, a new honda mower, weed eater, my old jiffy auger (15+ years old), my new strikemaster auger, my 98 evindrude 50hp, and all my vehicles and have never ran into a problem. (though I sta-bil all my gas for my mowers, weed eaters, and boat motor)

I did see a advertisment on tv about a new product by sta-bil....sta-bil ethanol treatment for marine motors?!?!? I can't find much information on it and haven't seen it in any stores yet, but if you are concerned about ethanol, this may be a choice.

751634.jpg