• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

I need a new Musky Reel

fishphinder

Question

I was out last weekend and a big strike while I was trolling finished off my Abu Garcia 6500 C4. I have two 6500's (now only one) and now need to get a new reel. I have only been Musky fishing for three years and have never used anything but the 6500. That big strike breaking my reel combined with the bad things I have been hearing about the Abu Garcias will keep me from getting another Abu so I am looking for recomendations from anyone who knows about Musky sized reels to help me find something I can depend on. I am ready to spend the big money on a good reel but want to make sure I get the right one. I have looked at the Shimanos but I don't know which one will fit my needs. I do throw the big bladed bucktails so I want something that can handle them but I also thow smaller baits and slower top waters. Any advice from a fellow Musky fisherman is greatly appreciated.

7 answers to this question

Don't forget the Penn 965 or 975. The 975 has a power handle on it and a 4.5:1 ratio I think. My buddy Rob got one at Thorne and that thing rocks. You can cast DCG's all day without getting tired and it can still burn a small bait in as well. Thing is built like a tank and can take the abuse of one too.

I am not die hard musky guy, but once I tried my brothers Curado 300, it is so smooth and lightweight it is just like casting a heavy bass rig. That gets my vote.