• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Dog boots

Shad rap

I was wondering if any of you have any good reviews on any kind of dog boots.

Last winter our 2 1/2 year old brittany decided to disappear for a few hours on one of the really cold nights and frost bit his feet to the point that his pads peeled. He is doing good this summer but I want to find something before hunting season that will protect his feet.

We tried the neopream boots last winter after that happened but they were hard to get on and he would run right out of them.

Duct tape. Really, duct tape. Hard to explain but here goes. Bracelet of duct tape, shiny side towards fur. Tight enough that it won't slide off, loose enough that it won't constrict bloodflow. Put boot on and duct tape boot to bracelet. Try your google skills out and see if you can find the article that I saw this remedy with very good photo explanation. Never tried it but have all the supplies in my dog travel kit in case I ever again encounter another birdy area invested with sand burrs.

I've used the duct tape method above many times with my springers. I've never lost a boot with it. I always put boots on them to hunt in the snow. I found some thin boots a few years ago that apparently are used by the dog sled folks. There're the best I've found. They are short and don't extend over the dew claw. Sorry, I don't know the name. They're a thin nylon-type material, but not slippery at all. Tape those babies on and you can hunt all day. I'll see if I can find the name somewhere.

Thanks for the help guys I did a google search on the duct tape boots and there is alot of good info I also found a Duluth company that makes boots for the sled dogs and I'm going to give them a call.

Thanks again

I have made dog boots with vet wrap and duct tape. The key is making them loose enough in the right areas and tight enough in the others. My dog has hunted an entire day in vet wrap and duct tape boots without losing the "boot".

You need to get up a little earlier though when you have duct tape boots to make. The idea of duct tape in conjunction with the pre-made boots is something I will have try.