• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Siding question

DRH1175

If I'm not mistaken, this is an insurance claim. They pay in a specific line item on your adjuster's papers to replace the house wrap. If they are paying for it, I would have it done.

If not, I would leave it up to the inspector on what they want. I am pretty sure they would say to replace it. This doesn't necessarily mean the old stuff is torn off, but new wrap should be put on.

Is it code? Yes, house wrap is code and it must be taped on vertical laps, so that would make me think it should not have any holes in it.

On our jobs, we add a price for new house wrap and you bet we put it on.

If you do a remodel,upgrade, code is to be brought up to current specs.However the condition of the barrior that is there and code, is up to the local inspecter If its damaged,Ask.Because code is how that inspecter inturprets it.My guess is replacement seeing taped laps are normally done to prevent moisture transfer and its not completely sealed with holes.But its up to the inspecter.

Here's a trick I saw a sider use. When removing the old siding, he drew a line at the top of each row. All pieces that were cut were marked and later used as a pattern for the new pieces. This worked especially well for shakes and peakes. Note: by doing this they were able to place the new nails directly in the old holes thus no new holes in the wrap.