• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

tire sizes

pj4

whats with the tire sizes, have a set of 28" swamp fox and there only 26 1/4" tall.was told there is no industry standard for tire sizes and the number they stamp on the side. thats bull. have you ran into this problem?

Yep, they are all different, and also depending on psi. The only set I have had that are right on or bigger is Maxxis Bighorns. Most tires do run small in size including alot of truck tires.

im looking for some true 28" tall tires. radial would be nice. for trail and mud.they are for a 800 can-am.be nice if they dont shake out your fillings at high speeds. is possible to balance thses tires?

I would take Roofers advice and go with the Bighorns. They're a great all-around tire with great durability and won't leave you feeling like you just got some dental work with a jack-hammer.

Maxis Bighorns are a radial tire with a moderately aggressive tread pattern. These tires are regarded by most as the best overall tire available. They have reasonably good traction in mud, a smooth ride and wear like iron. All this comes at a higher price. You should be able to balance any ATV tire but you may need to use stick-on weights depending on the type of rim. I don't know if they are available in a 28" diameter. Going from the stock 25" size on your 800 to a 28" will only result in an additional 1.5 inces of ground clearance. You will notice a considerable loss of power due to the larger diameter and increase in weight. I would not recommend going to more than a 26" diameter. If you want a larger tire for more ground clearance, take a look at your sagging springs, a common problem on Can Ams and replace them first.

You’re looking for a 28" mud tire that is radial, good for the trails and measures true? Not many fit the bill but I'd say radial mud bugs will be the closest to what you are looking for. I don't have any experience with the tire but I do like Maxxis tires. I have bighorns and a buddy has the mudzillas. Not an issue with either one. Zillas might be another good one but I don't think they are radials. Bighorns would be a good choice but they are not a mud tire and they don't make a 28". Another good choice for you might be outlaw MST.

Whatever you do don't just air them up to get a taller tire. That's the quickest way to ruin a good tire.

I don't see much of a reason for mud tires while riding in MN. Bighorns will get through any trail that is open here in MN.

The 28's definitely will slow down even the 800. I would also suggest a clutch kit with big heavy mud tires.

Radial tires are made for a reason and when you get into an all out mud tire, all those reasons are out of the question anyways....If that makes any sense.

A 27" bighorn will probably be just as big as a 28". I'm thinking the new Bighorn 2.0 might be a little better in mud and they are a tad lighter. I would know by now, but I haven't even had time to order them. I believe the 2.0 is out by now.

I just got a set of 26" swamplites this spring. And after reading this I went out and measured them. They are at 26 1/4" tall after some wear on them. I've been extremly happy with them. They are worth checking out

I don't see much of a reason for mud tires while riding in MN. Bighorns will get through any trail that is open here in MN.

The 28's definitely will slow down even the 800. I would also suggest a clutch kit with big heavy mud tires.

Radial tires are made for a reason and when you get into an all out mud tire, all those reasons are out of the question anyways....If that makes any sense.

A 27" bighorn will probably be just as big as a 28". I'm thinking the new Bighorn 2.0 might be a little better in mud and they are a tad lighter. I would know by now, but I haven't even had time to order them. I believe the 2.0 is out by now.

You ever get rid of your 27's? I'm kind of curious about the 2.0 myself. From everything I've read they are a lighter but they also have shorter lugs. I wonder if it's just more of a trade off and not that much of an improvement on the original.

I think the lug size is the same, there are just less of them. If you do the conversion, I think the lugs are the same depth. With wider spacing I think they will clean out better.

I haven't sold any of my tires/rims yet. The BH's I have are 26's.

My 27" ITP Mudlite XTR's run 27 1/4 @ the recommended 7 PSI. I do not have a lot of time on them but they seem to ride good so far. They did go through most everything we could find at the Appleton ATV Park.

P7140417.jpg

I did say most everything grinlaughblush. I was within feet of making it through this hole and started to go down so I backed up for another run at it and then the backend went down blush.

P7110400.jpg

Great pic of the wheeler in the mud! I'm guessing no one made it all the way through that mudhole? I like pics of wheelers actually off of the tar, and tested to their fullest!

Well, that's not what the tires were made for. Maybe with a mud tire you would have gone further. Not many places in MN where you can find anything like that. I would have went around it also. smile

Great pic of the wheeler in the mud! I'm guessing no one made it all the way through that mudhole? I like pics of wheelers actually off of the tar, and tested to their fullest!

Come on some rides with us in the winter if you want to see something tested.

I thought you guys rode trails?

We do. The trails at Nemadji were open throughout this past winter. The last ride was 5 above when we got there and we still had a blast. I don't recall anyone getting cold.

We had a set of Mud Bugs, AMS Swamp Fox, Maxxis Bighorns, stock Polaris tires on Fishy's SP, and titelines had stock tires on his Polaris X2 with chains on the back.

It was a good opportunity to see how different tires react to the elements. I personally was most impressed with the Bighorns.

Originally Posted By: Roofer

We had a set of Mud Bugs, AMS Swamp Fox, Maxxis Bighorns, stock Polaris tires on Fishy's SP, and titelines had stock tires on his Polaris X2 with chains on the back.

It was a good opportunity to see how different tires react to the elements. I personally was most impressed with the Bighorns.

I'll second the bighorns working thru the snow,I can't wait till the snow flies again, I am itching to get out and ride without bugs and dust.

I can't wait till the snow flies again, I am itching to get out and ride without bugs and dust.

exactly!! best time of year IMO to ride, plus you don't have to worry about tearing up any trails.