• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

High Miles Club

Call me cheap but I get a kick out of how many miles I can get out of a car before it becomes unreasonable money wise to keep it going. My 1999 Honda Accord it about to roll over the 200k mark without anything more than regular maintenence, man that car has saved me money. Wifes caravan has about the same miles but is on its second tranny and is showing signs of going out again..dont know if I will keep that one much longer. My sons 1999 Cavalier has 292k on original engine and clutch crazy I see so many friends/family that get caught up in having the "new stuff" and get bored with what they have that they never get close in miles..all I say is you never know how sweet life is without a car payment till you try it grin I cant be the only one, what do some of you guys have.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

98 bonneville, daily driver, 246,000, only repair is typical GM upper intake.

01 silverado, 160,000, no repairs

03 Buick, 115,000, intake gasket is only repair.

I haven't had a car payment is years, we pay ourselves then buy what we want. I bought the truck new, pre 9-11, everything else we buy around 2 years old. It sure hurts writing a $26,000 check, but then again I don't write them to often!!

We have a 1990 Accord that is rusting, but runs like a top. The gas gauge is out so we go by the odometer, and the AC doesn't work. Just turned 201,000 miles.

We recently got a new, used car and keep the Honda up at the cabin so we don;t have to drive the truck all the time. It's worth more to us up there than as a trade etc. Filled up two weeks ago and calculated 35 mpg!! Not bad for an 18 year old car.

thats what im Talkin about! I usually get them about 4 years old or so around 100k seems to be the best value range I find.

I'll bet that Bonneville has the legendary 3800 ? I hear more good experiences with that engine than any other G.M ever made.

Nice!

I sold my last Accord, a 1987 DX, with 178K on it and it was a great car. I replaced it with a 2004 Accord LX V6. She's got 82K on her now and we plan on keeping her for the long haul. The only thing I've done is new tires and rear brakes. The front brakes are still going strong. Also recently bought a 2001 Toyota Sequoia. It's only got 74K on it, but I hope it holds out for quite a while!

No car payments rock!

I buy them when others give up on them, I then fix them up. I had a 96 Taurus, I paid $400 for it, with a bad engine. I put in a used engine for $300. I put about 100k on it, and sold it for $900, with over 200k on it. I have a 97 taurus bought it for $500 with 97k on it, with a bad tranny. I rebuilt the tranny for $250. My wife still drives the car, and it has 170k on it now.

I do like to buy new trucks, but I havent done that since 02. My 02 f150 has 85k on it now. And I dont forsee myself replacing it with a new truck any time soon.

The life of cheap cars, got to love it!

My 1992 Silverado has 236K which I bought with 130k on it, rebuilt tranny at 180 but nothing to the motor. replaced the starter and water pump, could use the upper intake done, but it's my wood hauler, winter lake ice driver, so it's good like that. still starts and runs great. Last summer I bought an '01 Silverado with 94000 on it. Just getting started with that one. Paid for both with 1 payment by paying myself first.

1991 Linc. Town Car. Just rolled over 200,000 this week.

Bought it for $600.00 at 150,000 in 02'. Eng. was locked up and found out the alt. froze and belt was tight enough to prevent eng. from turning over. It was a trade in when I worked at CRLM grin. Used car manager laughed when I had it going by the end of the day. needless to say, I had a junk yard alt. in it, before I even signed the paper's grin

Very nice and clean car for year, even still gets around the 20mpg mark also.

99 Suburban bought new , 277986 miles . Original engine and tranny , never have to add oil between 3000 mile changes . Replaced the intake gaskets twice , 1 starter, radiator , two alternators . Pulled a Lund 2025 Pro-V and smaller boats lots of miles . Love this truck. I have a newer Yukon that just sits in the Garage most of the time, or gets driven to Church .

Have 98 K1500 with about 165k. Not really a high miler yet, but I will keep it to 250k, that is my goal, and then keep going if possible.

Change oil at about 6k, tranny regular changes at about 50k, and synthetic in diffs. Not sure if that is best, but so far so good.

Had intake gasket once, and might have small leak again, and water pump and alternator and a frost plug so far. Other has been basically maintenance, including an 02 sensor. As long as this truck doesn't get banged up, I will keep driving it like the day it was new smile

When I was going to college I bought a Chevette new, well it was a dealer demo grin . It had 6k on it when I bought it. I put 214k on it, and sold it to a friend he totaled it out at 298k. Almost made 300k! Now I have put a couple clutches, master cylinder and a manual tranny in it when I had it. But that car was indestructive, well up until it got destroyed grin

1993 Dodge Dakota with 365,000 miles. Bought it new with 230 miles on it. I don't like to buy cars often, as long as I keep up with the maintenance and the vehicle doesn't break down a lot I will keep it for however long it can last. Nice not to have a car payment.

1993 Eagle Summit, bought for $500 with 140,000 miles on it and it now has 206,000 on it and the air still works! Hit a deer and leaks antifreeze and oil, but just keeps going! Also gets up to 38 mpg. grin

You know that old saying "Drive it 'til the doors fall off"? My 89 Blazer I have to get in/out thru the passenger side, as the driver door is so rusty that I'm afraid if I open it, it may never close again. 205K miles, though and it's still driving daily. The only time it's been in the shop in 20 years is for a tranny rebuild.

It sounds like something is going out in the front end though, so it might be time to donate it, as I'm not willing to put money into it at this point.

My future in-laws will only buy used Bonnevilles. They have owned 5 different on. The first one was an old diesel not sure how many miles that had on it, 2 from the 80's that both died 2 years ago with about 250k on each, a 1995 with 214k and still running, and a 1998 that the girlfirend drives has 189k. All of these car except the diesel have the 3800 engine and all have had no major repairs done to them. So if your looking for a good used car go with a Bonneville with about 150k on it.

1996 Grand Cherokee, 4.0 liter straight six, auto. 202,000 miles on original engine and tranny. Replaced heater core, water pump 2x, oil pump with high flow at 160,000 and regular maintenence. Still running strong and burns no oil. Keep her until she dies.

1992 GMc 1/2 ton, 4.3 with 277,985 miles and the valve covers have never been off. This motor is still running along with the truck. I bought a 06 and still have the 92 and nowq a guy wants to buy it. To this day, 3,000 miles and only uses approx 1/4 of a quart of oil. still gets 21 mpg.

What can I say?