• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Dog had first accident since he was a puppy.

SDbowhunter

My dog had an accident in the house this morning. First accident since he was a pup he is now a little over 2 years old. Usually I let him out first thing in the morning but it was pouring and I didnt want to bring him in soaking wet so I figured he could make it 15 minutes after I took a shower and could put him in the kennel as I was going to work. He was acting pretty sheepish as I cleaned it up. It may be to late now but how can a person teach a dog to go on the linolium rather then the carpet when they absolutely have to go? Any accident of the 3 types of accidents he's had are always on the carpet.

Hey, I did the same thing on vacation when I had to pee so badly. I only made it as far as the end of the dock and I had to do my business. The end of the dock got a little wet...

When you gotta go, you gotta go sometimes...

I've had that happen with my dogs too - when I've waited too long. Sometimes I missed the signals, especially the pacing back and forth.

I think the best way to train them it to "tell you" - teach them to bark at you when they have to go. I'm not sure if that can work for all dogs, but I have one of mine trained that way. When it's time - he yips at me.

I've got our pup trained to ring a bell that we have by the door when he needs to go out. Works out great, except he's figured that he can ring it whenever he wants to go outside now.

I don't know how you'd train him to go on the linoleum without him thinking that it was okay to pee there all the time.

Someone was telling me that someone they knew had their dog trained to go in the tub when they weren't home. I dont know how they did it, maybe it is just a story. I live in a small cabin and the dog can easily tell me when he needs to go outside. Someday I'm sure ill upgrade houses but he doesnt have accidents at my parents house which is substantial larger then mine. I wasn't very hard on him today since it was my fault and broke the routine. I had him house trained by 12 weeks old with only a handful of accidents since. I guess its just one of the little joys of owning a pet.

If it is just a one time thing I would not worry to much and chalk it up to it being your fault for missing the signs.

If it happens over and over again or, you get home tonight and there have been multiple accidents through out the day, have him checked for a urinary tract infection. The only time Maggie (6.5 years old) my lab has had an accident in the house since she was a puppy was when she had a UTI.

If it is just a one time thing I would not worry to much and chalk it up to it being your fault for missing the signs.

If it happens over and over again or, you get home tonight and there have been multiple accidents through out the day, have him checked for a urinary tract infection. The only time Maggie (6.5 years old) my lab has had an accident in the house since she was a puppy was when she had a UTI.

Agreed, nothing to worry about on this. Dog tend to get in routine and are used to going when you get up. He just thought he should have been ouside.

I was about to post a similar question. My 2 1/2 year old springer has had a few accidents in the house also lately. She doesn't even go pee in her kennel outside. The weird thing is that a couple occasions she was laying down because she was wet on the side of her behind. I am going to call the vet in the morning because I think it could be an infection.