• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

2003 Yamaha Grizzly 660?

DRH1175

I found a 2003 Yamaha Grizzly 660 with just over 800 miles. Are these good machines? What has changed from 2003 to 2008. The specs seem to read the same. I have seen some ratings with over 5000miles so they must hold up.

In 07 there were alot of changes, but from 01-06 they stayed about the same. I have an 05 660 grizz. No problems yet, I have about 1500 miles or so on it. And it is a work horse for me as well. Although I have replaced a couple ball joints, and a wheel bearing in it so far, but it has been swamped in the mud many times, and I plow with it, so I am ok with that!

I'm not sure of the exact years, but the earlier Grizzly's had some axle and overheating issues that have since been resolved. Not sure about the 2003 models.

I had an 03. They were the ones with some gas boiling issues,overheating, and some axle breakages. These were not to common of problems for many people. I broke an axle on mine, but I deserved it for what I was doing to the machine. I also overheated it once, but once again it was the operater's fault.Does it have the side panels that are vented? Stock tires?

I have heard that the gas boils in all years of the griz, since the 660 was introduced. I could be wrong though, I have never owned one. Good solid machine from what I have read and seen of them.

The whole gas boiling thing is a myth. If the gas was hot enough to boil the tank would melt and explode. It does bubble in some but Im not sure why. My 05 has never done it. As far as I know the 04s to current ones are the same mechanicly. The 02 and 03s had weaker cv shafts, non vented side shields and no heat shield below to gas tank.

I have seen the 01 boil the gas. When they would do this is only when playing/digging in the mud holes, when you werent driving to allow wind into cool the motor off. I have had it happen to my 05 as well, but it was really hot! A friend of mine had it happening with his 07, and they replaced the gas cap and it fixed the problem, it wasnt venting at all, and was just building pressure in the tank. On just normal riding, or just a typical hard ride you shouldnt have any problems, it is just when you pound the snot out of it is when it happens!

I have a 02, and have 2500 miles with no problems. I have heard the bubbles in the gas tank, I don't think it was boiling. a must for ice fishing is better tires, the stock tires are a joke. I have the ITP589's and these are great in the snow.

Have a 2002, 660 with 1100 miles no problems. With the gas boiling problem , there was a safety recall shortly after I bought mine and they installed aluminum heat shield ing on the exhaust and some other places and new sides below the tank with venting in them. I never had the gas problem before or after the recall.

I have a 99 600 grizzly. Many people say they are hard on wheelers, but when I say that I am hard on wheelers trust me, I am.

I have ice fished in 18" of slush, hauled 100 square bail loads in 18" of snow on the farm, put 1200 hard miles on in 3 weeks for bear guiding for several years, breaking food plots, breaking trails when others were afraid too, riding in the mines all day, trapping in some of the worst muck holes you have ever seen.

One time I even ran the thing out of oil unintentionally and the thing still runs like a top. You may ask how I ran it out of oil. I was bear hunting and knocked down a big boar that I was tired of dragging. I drove my wheeler closer to the bear. I pulled the bear out and baited all my baits the next morning before I realized that I had snapped an oil line the night before when I was pulling the bear out.

I will be buying a new one shortly. Not because my old one is done. I have recently married and need a second one.

If you are wondering on what to buy. I hope I have answered your question. Email me with any [email protected]

Good luck

Hoytmystic