Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
WingDing2

Hard Starting Silverado

8 posts in this topic

2003 Chevy Silverado 1500 HD 6.0 Gas 95,000

My truck suddenly wont start easily I really have to grind it to getr to start. It has been trouble free most of it life.

I changed the fuel filter immediatly

I'm running some injector cleaner through it now

Runs good once it starts

No check engine light or messages on information center

I'm stumped

Bad Gas?

Condensation?

Help! Any ideas????

Fuel pressure regulator? Try putting the key to the run position to let the fuel pump prime before starting. You should be able to hear it. Turn it off and try and prime it again. If you hear the pump again, you lost the pressure. Something to try anyway. I'm sure airjer or one of the other experts will have more suggestions.

Its probably more noticable after a 15 to 20 minute hot soak? I would guess that it also starts fine when its had time to fully cool down. If this is the case than jw is on the right track, GM fuel pressure regulators are notorious for leaking. It should be located on the drivers side of the fuel rail about in the middle. There will be a vacumm line on it. Remove the vacuum line and start the vehicle. let it run for about 30 seconds then shut it off. Wait for fuel to come out of the vacuum port of the regulator, if it does replace it.

Yep. Happened to a few of our fleet trucks.

Or, if you pull the vacuum line and there is ANY trace of gas showing the regulator is bad. But, by the sound of it, that is the problem.

Yep you guys are right on It is leaking through the diaphram. I am trying to replace it right now.

Typically the lower screen and o ring will stay in the fuel rail when you remove the old regulator. Make sure you compare the old one and new one. If the new one has more pieces than the old pieces are still in the fuel rail. You can carefully remove these with a small screwdriver or pick. Coat the new o-rings with di-electric grease and the new regulator will pop right in with little effort. The metal retainer only fits one way so make a note of how the old one was on the rail before removing.

Thanks airjer I got it put in, and yes you were right as so as I popped the retainer ring it all came out in a blast of gas and the screen and O-ring were still in there and I had to pick them out. So it solved my problem. Thanks to all for the info. Had the truck since it was new and have never heard about the pressure regulator failing on the chevs?