• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

LCD TV

harvey lee

Question

I'm leaning towards Sony, Samsung and Toshiba. Probably in the 37-40 size. I amy also need to spend a bit more than planned.

I tell you what Tom, I looked at a Humminbird 997c SI today and it cost more than a 46" Sony !!!! Set them side by side and it will make you digest the TV price a little better.

Tom,

The longer you can hold out the better. Come Sept-Oct is when all the new 2008 Holiday season products come out, and prices on current models will continue to drop. Heck, you should be fishing and hunting until then anyways!

I work for a major retailer (think of what you take shooting practice at) and we transition the TV area come late September. Prices will continue to drop as they make room for the newer models.

Big-box electronics places will negotiate on price too, include cables, etc. Work 'em a bit.

Warranties: I've traditionally not been a fan, but my LCD had an issue, I found the receipt and we did have an extended warranty. Tech came out, soldered in the new piece to the circuit board, and said it's better than new now. In this case it worked for me, but this area is a personal preference call.

Brands: See above, I bought a somewhat off-brand. Next one will be a big name manufacturer.

Good luck with the purchase and I hope there's a football party at your house!

Sharp, Sony, Toshiba, LG all the big names are good. I have 2 philips LCD's, one 32 and one 48 and a (JVC) projection 52.

Visio is named as a top stock buy and a 'next sony' for innovation and quality. I personally would stay away from the 'off brands' i.e olivia and such.

Also...check into Plasma. Depends on what your viewing and the darkness of your viewing room, plasma is an excellent choice and has come way down in price.

With DirecTV and the HD receivers, they are pushing 1080i and not p.

Once you make the switch and start watching HD on an LCD or Plasma...WOW. I can't even watch Sven Sungard in non HD Format now

I will vouch for Visio, i have a 46" and a 37" both are about a year and a half old and not one issue.

They are crisp and clear and the price point was well below the others at the time.

I will be buying another when the time comes. I couldn't see paying another grand for a Sony (at the time). They both have 2HDMI ports, 2 green,purple,blue ports and both are 1080i HD.

Most HDTV's are made in china I think the price comes from what features you get. From what some say you can save some money by buying a 720p over a 1080i or 1080p. they say you really cant see the differance unless you go to a huge screen.

I purchased a Toshiba 37AV500U. I also purchased a 3 year extended warranty. This is the first time in my life I have purchased a extended warranty but felt that for some reason it was a good deal to purchase.

Now, I need to find a corner entertainment center for it and I'll be ready to go

When we bought our 42 Panasonic plasma 2 years ago, consumer reports said they recommended an extended warranty since the large flat screens were still kind of new. We got it at Ultimate Electronics and if you don't use it, you get some of the money back.