• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Japanese Beetles

pisces

Japanese Beetles on my strawberry bushes. What can I use that will still be okay to eat the berries? I have used Carbaryl on my ornamentals but I dont think that's okay to ingest?

Carbaryl (Sevin) is labeled for use on strawberries to control Japanese beetles. It's not systemic and has a short half life so if you wash the berries, you should be fine. Can repeat applications (and you may need to with the short residual) 5 times over the course of a season but not more often than once every 7 days. Do not apply within 7 days of harvest, do not apply more than 10 quarts per acre per crop, may kill shrimp and crabs in cranberries so if you have crabs that may be a bonus! One other caution, carbaryl may injure Early Dawn and Sunrise varieties of strawberries. Hope this helps.