• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Evening sports lighting

With all the great shots posted lately with some beautiful and dramatic lighting I thought I would share a few from some recent sports work.

One of my favorite things to shoot is baseball or softball on a summer evening. The warm lighting and backlight situations created by backgrounds and dust can make for some nice shots.

These are by no means great sports shots showing peak action but illustrate some lighting possibilities to think about for the next time you are capturing your kids, grand kids, friends kids, etc. in their sporting events. Try thinking outside the box a bit and look for something different than a stock action shot, it can be real fun with unexpected results.

1. ISO 800, f2.8, 1/1250s with +2/3 EC

332398753_HVdDM-XL.jpg

#2 ISO 800, f2.8, 1/1250s with +2/3 EC

332398993_8vvbo-XL.jpg

#3 ISO 500, f2.8, 1/6400s with +1/3 EC

332398480_QFRY9-XL.jpg

#4 The background is what makes this photo work for me sunlight on the background trees. A sportrait type of shot.

ISO 640, f2.8, 1/1250s

332398292_VdcJd-XL.jpg

LOL @ Dan!!! Thanks!!! I love the look on the second dudes face.. Like ""WHAT are you doing?"

the second shot he has a pretty good lean going. My guess is he may have made the catch but fell over backwards shortly after. Either that or he got a really bad heal hop out of the glove!

All great shots, as usual Dan. Lighting does so much to add to a photo - not only for exposure's sake, but to set a tempo and emotion for it. The backlighting in the first two would normally be a couple that would go into the trash bin, but it does add an element of, for lack of a better word, ethereal-ness to the photo.