• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Best 3 hours of fishing for me ever!!!

Deitz Dittrich

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Pretty darn cool Deitz! Treasure it man, you fish enough to know days like that are rare. I'm sure you were just beaming, I know I had a 36-48hr perma-grin going after my 24.6 pound day a few years ago. A day that I'll probably never match again, but you Dietz? I have a feeling you will top that feat again sometime....be it tommorow, weeks, months, years, deca.... laugh

Congrats and enjoy that "Slayed 'em!" feeling!

Deitz,

How do you rig a worm on that hook. I'd think it would be hard to rig it weedless with the way that hook comes back down the shaft, so do you just rig it wacky style since the idea is to keep it near the top of the weeds anyways I'd assume? I've never dropshotted, but I've been wanting to try it out. I love Texas rig and carolina rigs, but at times (like last night for me) I wish I had a way of keeping that plastic a little higher in the weeds.

What kind of weight do you throw on the end of that line to keep from getting hung up on the weeds as well?

Do you recall if those Standout hooks come w/ that small split ring already on there for the tie spot? I like the idea of that other jig you showed above, but the standout hooks actually look more preferable to me.

All this info is great guys, and congrats DD on an amazing night. My couple fish EVER over 5lbs feels miniscule after hearing someone get a night of that many! Way to go!

Aaron.. I just thread the lure on for about the first half inch.. The drop shot rig is not a weedless rig. You fish it exposed hook. I was fishing over rock past the weed edge. Which also goes for the sinker. There are drop shot sinkers, if you do a web search I'm sure you will find them. But again, they do catch weeds, but when I fish a drop shot I usually fish beyond the weed depth growth.

Thats not a split ring you see, its the knot, on that pict they are using braid... I never use braid to drop shot.. I have to Bubba shot before, but thats a different post to have some day.

Hope this helps Aaron.

Deitz,

What is your take on tungsten vs lead when dropshotting? I typically use lead bell weights, but am considering going to tungsten. The lead is just so much cheaper, but I have found that I don't lose many weights while dropshotting anyway, so it may be worth it if performance dictates it.

I use tungston when going into thick cover for my texas rigs.. I really see no real advantage to tungston for dropshotting. Maybe even less advantage as a smaller sinker may get stuck in rocks easier.. the only advantage would be that its not lead which is not so good for our enviro...

Nice job catching the fish!!! I've been doing some drop shotting for the first time and have had some success. It is really fun to fish that technique. I will have to look at those stand up hooks because I am using an octopus hook and when I tie(palomar knot) it the hook is not pointing upward. I will also have to look into those jigs. They look awesome.

Quote:
ey Deitz, how about your line and hooks? I used 8 lb mono but was thinking 6 lb floro would be better. Would a 1/0 wide gap worm hook be a better choice? Thanks in advance for replies to these questions!

TODDY-Welcome to FM, great to have you with us here in the bass forum.. Please stick around and enjoy. I look forward to reading your posts..

As for the hook, I use the Standout Hook

923_image.jpg Its the best I have found so far as far as line twist and hooking percentage. The line I use is 6lb Gamma Edge 100% Florocarbon. All 3 of my dropshot rods have the same line...

Thanks again all for the kind words, it really was fun. Ive been dropshotting for quite some time here in MN.. I gave a Seminar on Drop Shotting quite a few years ago at the B.A.S.S. Seminars, if I had to guess probably close to 8 years ago now. While its exciting to see people catching fish on it, I have to admit, it was a ton of fun when I was the only one doing it,(or so it seemed)

WOW, cool HOOK!!! What size hook would you recommend for dropshotting for bass?

Midcoast--- I think I use I a lot of size #1.. If I only were able to use one size, that would be it... The great thing about that hook, is your always horizontal no matter what..

MidCoast--Hate to do this to you, but it depends!!!!! Depends on how big a lure your using, the depth of water your fishing, how windy it is.. ect.. like with any deep water lure.. I would say the ones I use the most are 3/16 and 1/4..

Hey Bucketmouth64. When you tie your octopus hook (or split shot hook, etc.) with the palomar knot, take the long tag end and run it back through the hook eye from top to bottom. That will make your hook "turn around" and face the right direction.

Great post! I use a palomer knot leaving a long tag for the sinker. I then run the tag line again through the eye from hook point side first. This ensures that when the line is tight, the hook stands straight out from my line "point up". I can see the benefit of those hooks though and I will be trying them soon! I noticed lots of baitfish on my sonar out deep both on the deep weedline and beyond it. This is what made me go to dropshotting. That and major WINDS we had. I was able to stay in contact with my line better. Do you guys typically search out baitfish before using a dropshot or does depth of structure dictate its use? I was kicking myself for not having my Aqua Vu with as it would have been a great tool in the situation I was in to look for larger fish in the "spot on the spot".

TODDY

I have yet to go to a baitcaster for dropshot... I go lighter line than many, honest, I only use 6lb floro.. I count on the drag a lot, but I also count on myslef to back reel quite a bit.. It goes back to my ice fishing.. I do a ton of back reeling during the ice fishing season. You cant back reel with a baitcaster.

I really only use a spinning rod/reel for dropshot and docks...maybe a little shakey rigging... thats it.. 90%of my rods are baitcaster.. just cant do it for dropshotting.

I also like the fact that spinning rods are a little more forgiving it seems as far as speed of the rod. The fact that the guides are under the rod allows for more forgiveness for light lines.

I have been looking to drop shot this year. I have one question, do you just drop it over the boat and jig it w/the sinker on the bottom as if you were jigging walleye's? Or do you cast it out and jig it back?

B-N-S, When using such light line, big fish can make a turn and snap you off in a hurry. While i use a reel with a great drag, I dont always trust it. I do trust myself. Back reel allows you to give more line out faster when needed. Years ago I was able to catch a 30lb northern on 8lb line. Backreeling is key! On my baitcasters I use heavier line, and thus trust the drags more.

Fish Fry Guy- With a drop shot you make a very short cast, maybe 10-15 yards at most. Allow the sinker to fall and sit on the bottom and then shake the rod, but trying to keep the sinker on the bottom. You then maybe move the rig a foot and repeat.. Its a very slow presentation. ITs not for looking for fish, its for catching them once you have found them.

Double D, you is the man. smile

Just a couple comments on DSing. Some people swear by back reeling, some don't. I'm in the latter group. It's not that I don't think it's the best method, it's just that when I've tried it, I'm not confident it helps me, and actually hurts me. Like anything, you get better at something the more you do it, and I just haven't taken the time to do it.

I fish a Shimano Twin Power MG (Japan version of a Sustain in MG) and I leave the drag very loose. On top of that, I fish a very slow action rod. I built up 2 St Croix 4S76MLF action rods, one is extended to 7'11" and I LOVE it. (TWS76MLF is the stock rod) The length of the rod allows you to move enough line on the lift and reel hook set to get the hook in, and the whimpy action allows you to fight the fish on light line. (I use 7LB SunLine) Different strokes for different folks, but this set up does work for me.

Like Deitz says, basically a short "pitch" is how I'm casting. Remember the deeper the water, the longer the cast you can make.

If you can find a lake with a LOT of little fish wiling to bite, it's a great place to practice. Take only your drop shot set up and learn away!

Wow.... I am glad I found this forum.....

I have been drop shotting now for about two years... Really does work well in deep water and on the weed line...

I also use the Standout hook and think it really works well...

I live on Gull Lake and fish it extensively... One of my favorite plastics that works really well on the drop shot is the Lake Fork Ring Worm.... I was out in the rain today for about four hours and caught about a dozen 14 - 19 inch fish on a shelf in about 14 ft of water using the ring worm... I am really hooked on the drop shot technique when bass are in their summer pattern.

Years ago I use to fish Minnetonka 3 or 4 times a week since I lived in Mound... Had some great deep water spots where bass would school up... I need to get back out there and try the drop shotting on those spots. I think it would be awesome.

One other note, I do get a number of bite offs from Northerns using this technique...

Dietz, thanks for the helpful information...really appreciate all of the comments and info...

JC- No need to thank me... thanks for joining us in the bass forum here!!! Really is great to have you with us! Please feel free to share what you have and what is going on in your neck of the woods!

You bring up pike.. they are the pain of all pains!!!! I re tie ever 6 bass at the very least! I check my line every fish! even if I dont think it needs it, after 6 fish I re-tie!

pike are no fun! they change the rules all the time!

Deitz I agree, the pike are a pain and for some reason they sure do like baits on a drop shot...In the summer many of the pike are on deeper structure thus the many bite offs. I guess it goes with the territory.

Thanks for the tip....I will start re-tying more often.

Are you fishing in the Minnesota Bound tourney on Gull Aug 1 and 2? I gave serious thought to entering but decided to be an observer this year.. Being retired on a fixed income the $1000 entry fee was a bit too much for me.. Maybe next year if the markets turn around.

I will start giving updates on the bass bite up this way...

I was going to head out this morning but we have a storm brewing to the west... Maybe this evening...

Good fishingto all.....Joel