• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Deer Stands

I know it might be early, but I just leased some new land this year, I don't own any portable stands, and I don't know if I will keep the lease. Finally, I'm kinda afraid of heights. I was thinking about getting a latter stand instead of a climber or building a permanent. Any advice is appreciated!

Get a climber!!!!!

I'm not a fan of heights either, but once you climb a few trees w/ one you gradually get more and more comfortable in one. The first few times I was lucky to get 10ft up a tree. Now I can get up 15 or better depending on the tree. Especially if you climb the same tree a lot, you start to get really comfortable in one, almost too comfortable.

They're just too darn convienient! Go w/ a climber!

The only problem is, at least where I deer hunt, sometimes it's hard to find a tree big enough to use one in, or vise versa. But I'm sure there are areas where every tree is the right size. 8-20 inch diameter is what you need, btw! Good luck!

Climbers are nice if you have trees that are the right size, and are straight and don't have low branches. And they're nice if you want to move around to lots of locations. But there's some work (and noise and sweat) involved in hauling them out to your tree, getting them set up, climbing your tree, then reversing the process at the end of your hunt when you want to sneak out quietly. I have a climber and use it, mostly when I'm checking new spots or the wind has screwed up my other stands, etc.

Ladders are nice - not too hard to put up, not too hard to move if you decide they need to be relocated, pretty safe and comfortable to hunt out of unless you go with the bare-bones model. I like hunting out of ladders for both gun and bow season.

Permanents - I don't like them any more. Not very safe, can't be moved if you decide they're not in the right spot, etc.

either one, the climber is great if you have alot of birch or popular trees I've gotten more than 22 ft. and there not that bad to carry around either but if you more of a sit in one spot kind of guy the ladder is very comfortable if you buy the better ones.

I would just buy a couple of portable 15' ladders, and a couple of portable stands. if you decide to keep the lease i would look into ladder stands. I took a hint from another member here and fell in love with the loggy bayou bowhunter ladder stand.

I am afraid of heights and have tried a few types of portables and I am a big guy (6'5" 340lbs), I have now went with the 2 man ladder stands for my portables, a little harder to move around but if you know your area, they have plenty of room and definitly feel more secure, to me.

A ladder stand will probably make you feel the safest. If you have a friend that has a climber, I would give it a try a few times and see how you like it. It will take a few outing before you will feel comfortable in it if you are afraid of heights. Also, check to make sure the climbers is rated for your weight.

I own just about every type stand made and I hunt almost all of the time out of a climber. Most comfortable stand I hyave ever hunted and almost slept in.

I was always told there would be very few locations to hang a stand due to branches. For me, this has not been an issue at all. There have been a few time when I need to saw a branch on the way up with my limb saw.

I agree with the ladder stand. I can have a ladder stand moved in 15 minutes from tree to tree. More time with cutting shooting lanes etc. I am deathly afraid of heights. they are the only stand that I feel comfortable in. I like to be able to look down and see something under me. I'm not little and those little cables on hanging stands scare me to death. I buy stands whenever I find them on sale. I have four right now. 2 cheapos and 2 nice ones. I can sit in either of them for quite a while and not get uncomfortable. I've never spent more than $75 dollars on a tree stand, the deals are out there, last year I got a nice one about now because they were bringing in the new models and clearing out the old ones, don't be afraid to ask the salesman about any in stock stands that will be clearanced.

Or just build a permanent about 4' off the ground or even leave it on the ground and clear a field of fire.

There was a recent study on the effectiveness by Ken Norberg I believe that indicates that elevated stands are not nearly as sucessful as they were 20 years ago.

Watch some of these hunting shows and you'll be surprised at how many deer are looking up now.

Just my .02

Ladder stands are good, but don't go cheap if you do buy one, because they'll make noise when you stand up/sit down or try to turn your body. I've made that mistake and it's cost me some deer. Nothing worse than hearing the crunch, crunch, crunch of an approaching deer only to try and stand up and the stand goes CREAK SQUEAK. Suddenly the deer noise stops and you'll not hear it again. The quality stands have plastic or non-metal bushings at all pivot points so they don't make noise.

Nobody has mentioned one of the key pieces of equipment here - a safety harness!! Spend the $100 on a good one!!! If you use it for 10 years, that’s only $10 a year - isn't your life and good health worth that??! Plus once you have it on, it will help conquer that fear of heights.

If you’re afraid of heights, you don’t have to get that high, start out with some 8-10 foot stands, you just need something to get you up above the brush for a better view. I like ladder stands, that screwing in steps while hanging onto a tree is not for me anymore. You can find some pretty reasonably priced ladder stands nowadays, try a couple and if you don’t hunt there next year you can take them down.

Also think about ground blinds, I've shot several deer and a coyote from them.

Good luck

I have some of all. I'm buying another climber before season. I like all of them in various situations. I would probably say just as far as what I like to hunt out of the best I'd rank them this way:

1) permanent

2) hang-on

3) tie between climber & ladder

They all have their benefits. The ladder's the fastest to put up, easy to get in & out of, fairly comfortable.

The climber is by far the most portable if you're walking very far. The hang-on can be just as portable, but takes much longer to put up.

If you're hunting land you or your family owns & you have spots that you know are good, build a permanent & save your portables for untested spots & properties you don't own. Even on my own land I'll use portables on untested spots at times to see if it's worth the effort of a permanent.