• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Mulberries

A friend of mine noticed carp feeding on Mulberries at a twin cities lake. The carp were surface feeding on the berries as they dropped off the tree into the water.

He tied on a plain hook and plucked one berry from the tree.

He tossed the berry out without any weight and he was immediately hooked up with a 10+ pound carp!

I caught a bunch of channel cats and carp on a small river in Nebraska a few weeks ago. We had been using crawlers, but we noticed the mulberries dropping from the trees on the banks. We harvested a small tub full, and started catching a lot of fish. We kept a few to eat, and they were all full of mulberries.

It's a killer bait for some species when the time is right. They are opportunistic feeders, and carp have a sweet tooth. It's tough stuff to keep on the hook, especially in current. We used cheesecloth to wrap the berries up, like a spawn sack.

Your experience in Nebraska is the best kind of fishing:

making observations and applying them to the situation.

I love to fly fish for trout on streams and 1/2 the fun is observing and figuring out what the fish are eating and how their eating.

I've pursued caught carp on the fly and they are everybit as selective as the trout. I've had the most success with carp that are not completely tailing or completely cruising, but somewher in between.

I've caught many carp on canned corn and worms as well. They must have a sweet tooth though because I've also read of people soaking their corn in kool aide or adding kool aid/strawberries to boilies.

carp LOVE mulberries... back in Michigan I tied up a fly pattern for it. Purple chenille and a green rubber leg for a stem. Killer

There'd be a large V-Wake from all the fish rushing to eat my fly

carp LOVE mulberries... back in Michigan I tied up a fly pattern for it. Purple chenille and a green rubber leg for a stem. Killer

There'd be a large V-Wake from all the fish rushing to eat my fly

That is a wake would love to see. I have a date with some carp and a Mulberry tree next spring.

In the meantime I will pick up some purple chenile.

Yeah you know Dave Whitlock ties one with purple deer hair, and I've seen foam ones too. But really ripe berries, the ones the carp love, sink. Sure they'll take em off the surface, but why limit yourself?