• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Bass & Musky Relationship

Dan Mawer

I gotta say that the past couple years I've been nailing a lot of decent bucketmouths (18-20") while fishing for Muskies on lures like Suicks, Grandmas, Magnum rapala, and burning bucktails in areas that are classic musky hangouts (weed reefs).

I posted a similar question to other Musky guys on the Musky board here wondering if they thought finding Bass meant Muskies were near by. Although actually catching might be different because I'm assuming a lot of bass guys don't use leaders and would get bit off, but anyone here run into Muskies in their bass spots semi-frequently?

I'm trying to see if I should start using bass catches as an indicator that Musky might be near by. Seems reasonable..

Do you remember the old cartoon where there was the big ol' bulldog, and the small dog that would follow him around and jump over him, and back over again, over and over again, asking him questions, like where we goin' now, and what we doin now?

Well, thats the exact relationship between bass and musky's

The real question is why in wisconsin do they spell musky with a Y, and in minnesota, its spelt with an IE???

Actually yes. A few weeks ago while fishing one of my old honey holes I was getting into the bass pretty good. I was reeling in a bass that was 15" and had her about 8 feet from the boat. Out from underneath my boat comes a 35"+ Ski and darts after my bass and then disappears. Next week, same lake but different spot I got into the same situation twice.....both very close to the boat and within seconds of me lippin' the bass out of the water. Although this has happened, I've never landed a muskie while bass fishing...although I have lost my fair share of lures.

Good spots are there for a reason, and usually good for multiple species a lot of the time.

Exactly. Throw a green spinner bait on Tonka for bass and you'll wonder if there is a relationship between bass and northern pike.