• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Minnow traps

Brownie77

I don't have plans on building but I will say that I purchased one from Cabela's that is portable and folds up very nicely. 5" entrances on both sides and also a bait bag. It cost me 15 bucks. It seems like rebuilding something like this would take a great deal of work to do right. I suggest buying one for the price. Good luck!

I don't have plans but I make them. I use 1/4" hardware cloth and make about a 36" long by 12" dia (approximately) I use the actual wire from the hardware cloth to close everything up. I add a solid piece on the end with a small door. I make a cone out of the same matl. and make it go in to the trap about 16" and make sure it is of legal dia. because there is a law on the size opening.

That is how I do it. Kind of a pain takes about a hour takes about an hour to make one. They work very well tho. I bait with dog food btw.

Wish I could get a cam on my trapping sites cause it seems like I only get to keep them for a week and someone steals them.

Good Luck!

I made 2 that are right at the legal limit for size, but I need to cover the whole thing with 1/2" mesh to make it legar. I had a bunch of 1/2" X 1" fencing laying around so i made a few square ones that look like small turtle traps, think they will work once legal. BTW MN has some of the dumbest rules with minnow traps IMO.

Be careful guys! The regs from page 68 of the Fishing regulations book.

Quote:
• Traps, width and length may not exceed 30 inches, height may not

exceed 15 inches, the diameter or width of the opening may not exceed

11⁄2 inches, and mesh size may not exceed 1⁄2 inch bar measure. Traps

must have a waterproof tag bearing the name and address of the owner.

Like I said they are legat but for the mesh size, adn I will take care of that by covering them with 1/2 mesh this weekend. Thwe rules are the rules, ans as much as I disagree with them, I will follow them.

I do no think the Promar Collapsible Minnow Traps from Cabela's are legal either. Why do they sell thinkgs in stores that are not legal to use. It seems this is jsut a set up for bad things to happen.

Something to do with international inventory ordering system or something like that. I had to return awesome umbrella dip net this spring after I was informed by the DNR down town it was illegal to us in MN.

There is a ton of stuff for cat fishing and bait collection that is illegal at Bella’s. Just look at Wal-Fart and the nice remote control fishing boat they have displayed at the sportsman desk. That is illegal as all get out, but yet they are selling like hot cakes. Mom's, Grandmas, Grandpa's, Dads are buying them unknowing.

We can not use umbrella dip nets either? What the he**, can we use kids butterfly nets, that is about all that is left. Seines are great, but no one I know up here has any desire to learn how to do it. I ahve to go back home to seine minnows. What are you suppose to do as just one guy?

Bait collecting has been a hot button issue the past couple of years. Invasise species, VHS, Aquatic Plants, etc.

I'm surprised we can collect bait at all any more legally.

As of now, you are limited to minnow traps, seines, and dip nets and, all three have a specific list of regs.

Basically all we can do is gather our bait as the law sees fit.

Either that or try to get some laws reverted or changed in our favor.

Good luck with that.

Shack. Your right. For some reason I assumed it was legal being from a local tackle shop. Thanks for letting me know, these rules in Mn. are a little absurd for measurements. Can I modify an existing traps opening to be legal?

Quote:
Can I modify an existing traps opening to be legal?

You could, but the over all size of the trap is the main concern. It is to big.

I just have a feeling that we will be running bait in a couple years like they ran moonshine or they run drugs grin

"P issssttttt, I will meet you at the Iowa border at 12:00am" wink

Quote:
Can I modify an existing traps opening to be legal?

You could, but the over all size of the trap is the main concern. It is to big.

I just have a feeling that we will be running bait in a couple years like they ran moonshine or they run drugs grin

"[PoorWordUsage], I will meet you at the Iowa border at 12:00am" wink

LOL, minnows in the back of muscle cars, I can see it now.