• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Are trail cams ethical?

Im not disagreeing with you but even if they have some law saying you cant use them how will that even be possible to enforce? Its something that is what 6"x6" in the middle of 40 acres of woods, even if they did i would find it hard for people to say ok i wont put my camera in the woods. I have seen the live feed cams once on tv but didnt know what are some brands out there that do this. How spendy is it?

I kind of go back and forth on whether or not they are ethical. However, for me I love the excitement of going out to get images off of my card.

I usually pull my camera before season just cause I'm concerned the flash scares the big bucks a bit. I've caught some beautiful bucks on camera but of my 3 big bucks I've shot I never caught any of them on film.

last year was a classic example of how interesting they are to use. I had pics of 14 different bucks on my camera. Of the 14, 4 were "mature" and 8 were wee little lads. Of the 4 mature bucks, 1 was a nice big buck, one was pretty nice and 2 still had some growing to do...yet they were not teenagers. All of them were 8 pointers. I told my wife I was kinda disappointed to not see something more than 8 points (although the one big one was sure a dandy). Deer season comes and our group does not see even 1 of the 8 pointers. What do you suppose I shot last year? A 10 pointer.

Here is the only scenario where I can think of it being unethical. If a group of hunters waited until they got a live feed of a particular deer and then rushed to surround and drive that particular woods. That doesnt quite feel right. But using the way most of us do, I see no problems.

I agree with Cody, its fun to show the pictures to friends. It creates a ton of excitement for the upcoming hunting seasons. I know that every picture I get is still just that, a picture, that deer is still a long way from my freezer.

The live feed thing would be something that would definitely need to be taken down during deer season. CodyD had the right unethical scenario.

I was flipping through channels this weekend and there was a promotion for one of these on the hunti........er.....uh...........harvesting channel. I checked out the web site and these images can be sent to your cell phone. So, I would have to say that live-feed is not good. It is best to put an end to it before it starts.

I remember when fish finders (flashing units) became popular. Many people said this was unethical and would take the fun out of fishing. Finding fish does not mean catching fish. Same goes for trail cameras.

Good point, I agree, I have a picture of a very nice buck from my trail cam. Everybody comments how nice he is and thats all I can co is say that its a very long way from my freezer. I've had the camera out for a month, and I only have one picture of him.

I remember when fish finders (flashing units) became popular. Many people said this was unethical and would take the fun out of fishing. Finding fish does not mean catching fish. Same goes for trail cameras.

I think comparing fish finders to trail cameras is comparing apples to oranges. Catching fish is not like shooting deer. If fish are not hungary or enticed, they don't bite. A deer doesn't have that choice when they are being hunted. If you have a live feed trail camera hooked up to a lap top or cell phone in the area you will have a much better chance of havesting that deer than you would otherwise.

I think all this computer satalite, sending, online hunting stuff is all wrong. Even for people with disabilities... clicking a mouse button and killing a deer is no way for ANYONE to experience the outdoors. ANd in my opinion its not fair to any animal to be taken that way.

As far as cameras though. I think they have opened the door to almost a whole new hobby. Yes, there the issue of are they an ethical advantage to harvesting deer, but thats only a small part of the story. I enjoy using my cameras as much or more than deer hunting. I shed hunt a lot. With cameras I can watch bucks from year to year. I spent lots of time and money to get the best pics I can of deer that I know. And this alone is why enjoy it. Ive got pictures of dozens and dozens of Pope and Young class deer and larger in the past few years, I havent shot a buck in 8 seasons now.

Cameras are not just a hunting tool... but a style of hunting in itself thats helps us feed our addiction to deer all season. I dont want anyone telling me I cant do that. Its what I love and for years, I havent hurt a thing doing it!

Quote:
I think comparing fish finders to trail cameras is comparing apples to oranges. Catching fish is not like shooting deer. If fish are not hungary or enticed, they don't bite. A deer doesn't have that choice when they are being hunted. If you have a live feed trail camera hooked up to a lap top or cell phone in the area you will have a much better chance of havesting that deer than you would otherwise.

I agree on the live feed, its wrong, and I think its garbage. I think you said it best. Just because the fish are there doesn't mean that they are going to bite. Numerous people on here have said that just because they have a picture of certain buck, doesn't mean that they are going to be able to go out on the first day and shoot it. In fact, I would say that its rare. Fish have to eat, once you find them, its a matter of figuring out what they want and when they want it. A deer may take a different route every day.

I can definitely agree that having a live feed to a cell phone that you have with you is no different than having a buddy with a two-way radio informing you of an approaching deer.

Not fair chase and any ethical hunter wouldn't use the tactic even if it is legal in my opinion.

Bob

Numerous people on here have said that just because they have a picture of certain buck, doesn't mean that they are going to be able to go out on the first day and shoot it. In fact, I would say that its rare. Fish have to eat, once you find them, its a matter of figuring out what they want and when they want it. A deer may take a different route every day.

I totaly agree when the trail camera is used in the traditional manner, which I have no problem with. Its when you introduce the live feed factor that I start to have problems. If you are close enough when you get the live feed picture you could be there before the deer has even left.

It could also be used to forwarn of an approaching animal and this would give you another added edge, especially one approaching from behind.

Bob