• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

advice needed on new lowrance

Motown

Question

11 answers to this question

520 or a 522 are pretty popular options for sonar/gps combos. They are reasonably priced and work pretty well, taking both Navionics and Lakemaster chips. How much money do you have burning a hole in your pocket. Bigger is better in most instances, but it all depends on your budget.

I've got the 522i and have enjoyed it so far. Make sure you update the software on the unit as it makes a big difference in losing bottom...The option of networking unit's is also a nice feature with Lowrance. Good luck!

I don't think I would get the HD. I'm not totally up on it but I'm not sure it gives much more than what the chip does unless you travel to many states. I would go no smaller than the 8" and if it's in the budget and it will fit on the dash, go BIG.

Given what you're looking at, I like the 37. I agree with mnfishinguy, no need for the 38 HD in my opinion unless you do a lot of traveling around the country --- use LM or Nav chips in the 37 and you should be good to go.

Regarding stepping up to the 112, it's a lot more money and the screen on the 37 is so big already I'm not sure how much more benefit you'd get by going to the 112. Plus those big units really put a pounding on their mounts when you're bouncing around --- regardless of which one you get, make sure you use a big RAM mount for it.

Are you just going with 1 unit or are you networking multiple units together?