• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Bass'n on Lizzie

Rambo50

I'm new to the site and I have been amazed at all I can learn here.

I have a cabin on Lake Lizzie (Ottertail). This spring I hammered the largemouth with spinnerbaits in the weedy shallows but now I have not been able to even get a bite.

I know the fish have gone deeper but I'm wondering what I should be using. Jigs, spinners on the 10fow weedlines?

If anyone has any pointers for Lake Lizzie or what I should be using please let me know.

Thanks for the help,

Rambo50

I grew up fishing Lizzie and it's a really fun bass lake. I never found a consistent deep bite on the main lake (other than the smallies in the fall) so most of my time was spent in "rush" lake fishing shallow. Anywhere you can find a combination of weed types will be good, whether it be where the reeds meet the cane, pads meet cane, red tops in the reeds etc. you will find fish. During the day pitch jigs and tubes and work them on the bottom. Also,this time of year the buzzbait fishing in the evening can be unbelieveable. Next time you're out start on the first main rush point on the south east side of rush as you're comeing from crystal and work your way through the isolated cane clumps with a buzzbait; I think you'll be impressed.

Hi Rambo50

Welcome to God's Country. I grew up a few miles from Lizzie, and have a cabin on Crystal.

Email me at rkimm at esoxangler dot com, and I can give you some info.

Note I'll be offline for a few days at ICAST but I'll get back to you

Cheers,

Rob Kimm

I'm heading out there this evening and I think I'm going to try some pumpkin tubes and some tequila worms in the Rush section.

I noticed the deepest it gets in there is only 7' so I'm sure they are hunkered down deep in the weeds.

I fished South Lizzie (Rush) last night for a couple hours using a Texas rigged tequila worm for a while and then a buzzbait. I hauled in a handful of Rockies on the worm and a couple 3 or 4 pounder largemouth on the buzzbait. It was a little cloudy out and there was no wind so I thought fishing would be prime but it was only fair.

I also hauled in a nice Northern with a buzzbait too, first time that has ever happened.

Saturday I'm going to try a buzzbait again and also some tubes. Might even try a Carolina Rigged worm too.

You guys were right, sticking tight to the bogs worked. I used a pumpkin bitsy bug with a 4" pumpkin grub tossing it basically into the bog and letting it drop in the water.

I got a couple 4 pounders and a number of 2 and 3 pounders.

The lillies also had some nice bass under them as well.

Top water buzzbaits didn't work that well but hula poppers did.

I didn't have any luck with t-rigged worms tho. I tried for hours to get something to bite using them but all I got was rockies. I still have some learning to do with the worms.

Over all it was a good weekend on the water, thanks for the pointers guys.

Rambo50