• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Wind????

This is to some of you guys that have been rideing for awhile does a strong wind like this past weekend bother you while rideing (doing freeway speeds) I was rideing this last weekend and some of the gusts of wind almost knocked me over. I have only been rideing for 3 years now it one of the few things that really bother me while rideing.

Your opinions?

Big Fish Hunter247

I hate the wind while riding. We have put many miles on trips where the wind was definately not in our favor. Accros the plains has got to be the worst that I have ever experienced. I remember following my dad and it looked as though he was riding at a 20 degree angle. He was leaning right into the wind. After we stopped I told him that he looked a little awkward riding. He informed me that I looked the same way in his rear views. Oh yea wind definately bothers me. Whether it be mother nature, or a passing semi.

To me it is not the wind blowing against me that is bothersome, it is the wind trying to lift the helmet off of my head!!! I mean if I had the choice i would much rather ride with little or no wind!!! Infact I still have a kinkl in my neck from my 560 mile ride last saturday!!!

You get used to it, to a point. Slow down a little and keep your feet off the highway pegs and you'll be alright. If you’re in really gusty winds keep your legs tight on the bike and try not to have the death grip on the bars. You don't want to have your upper body too tense because you end up making more jerky motions to compensate for the gusts. I really hated the wind when I first started riding. It always seemed to be a white knuckle ride. I learned to relax a little more and things went a lot smoother. We can have it pretty bad in Minnesota at times but I swear every time I ride through South Dakota on I-90 I'm driving at a 45 degree angle.

I was thinking of starting a similar post. Cross winds are the one thing I don't like when riding. I'd much rather ride in the rain than the wind. Like it was mentioned, sometimes it feels like the wind wants to knock you over. It feels more like it wants to push the bike out from underneath you more than push you off the bike. Has anyone ever, or know anyone who has ever been put down by the wind? That's my fear, but maybe it's just a fear and not really something that would happen.