• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

I'm lost and need some help

riverrat56

I'm a die hard walleye guy, but I've got an itch to catch a few smallies with out driving back up to Canada to do it. I'll be hitting Green Lake, just looking for some techniques to use, preferable ones that aren't going to require buying much, I've got a nice selection of cranks, round head jigs, twister tails, ya know, walleye stuff. I do have a few top waters, buzzbaits, poppers and Zara Spooks. Also wondering what types of areas I should be looking in for smallies.

Riverrat,

You should be able to pick up smallies with the gear you have. I'd typically use short/fat cranks like the DT series, but you could probably do okay with shad raps or other walleye type cranks. Xraps work great if you have any.

Jig and grubs (Twister tails) can be deadly for smallies and can be fished in a lot of different ways.

All the topwater lures you mentioned should work well if the topwater bite is on.

I guess I might buy some tubes, senkos and crawfish plastics too. They're relatively inexpensive and will give you more options.

As far as locations, I'd say look for shallow rock piles. Any where you can find a sandy bottom with larger rocks or boulders scattered around seems to be good. From what I've read, walleye fishermen catch a lot of smallies on Green in their deeper walleye spots too. Assuming you're talking the Green lake out in Spicer, I would post this topic on that board and I'm sure you'll get feedback.

I've stummbled across quite a few smallies lately. Top water is an awesome way to go, a little slower on the bites but great when they happen. Me and my kids did really, really well on a colored hook with a leech as well. Hope this helps a little.

throw spinnerbaits and crankbaits out there and you should be fine. At least this is what I've done out there both times I've been there. Last year in August this is all we did and caught many over 3lbs out there. Find the rock areas in about 5-10 ft of water. Smaller finesse jigs, grubs, and tubes will work as well.

Thanks for the help guys, the Willmar forum was not too willing to help a guy out. I do have alot of X-raps, as well as some Fat Raps, not quite DT's but basically the same thing. I had heard about walleye fisherman catching them on lindy's and leeches, but I'm not your typical walleye guy, lets just say, looking in 5-10' of water is alot deeper than I've been fishing for the last month.