• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Enlargement size advice needed.

I've been matting and framing for a number of years now. I bought and still use my first matte cutter back in 1981. If you are looking at more work in the future a matte cutter can be had for about the price of a good UV filter.

In addition to the cost savings there is the added satisfaction of matting and framing your work they way you want with no real restrictions. I took a conservation framing certification a number of years ago with Crescent Boards and almost all of the materials needed to do a good job are available at a good art supply house locally if you have one.

Most of the work I matte has been with double mattes. Though smaller photographs will matte up just fine with single mattes. It is so easy to mount your own photos I just have a hard time paying for it through a printer, but that is me. I also try to pick sizes that will get me at least two mountings out of a board, more cost savings. That is not always possible but I try and use print sizes that allow for that. You can get foam core in 30x40, 32x40, 40x60 and even 48x96!!

Mike I don't know your time frame on this but if we get together this weekend I can help you with mounting and show you how simple the matting proceedure can be as well. Ridgedale which is close to your daughter's has a Dick Blick store so much of what you may need or want my be found there.

As far as the lustre coating all I use are lustre finishes, especially if they are going under glass. I have never used an additional coating though.

To clarify, it's about $10 per sheet. They quoted me $7 for a sheet 16 X 24, so I'm guessing at $10 for a sheet 22 X 30. When I look at the sizes again, it'll probably be more like $14 each.

Anyway, thanks for all the info, tips and advice. The show isn't until August 9, so I have plenty of time to decide which route I want to take. I have plenty of options. I'll keep you all posted on the results.