• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Garage Heater

chasineyes

Does anyone know of any problems with running a hanging forced air heater in a garage while cutting wood? I'm installing a unit currently and wondering if I should looking into getting some type of vac system for my saws. Don't do any heavy cutting just the occassional weekend puttering.

Run a decent Dust Collection unit or wear a respirator. Check out a site run by Bill Pentz. Hobby shops have very high levels of dust, levels which would not be permitted in a commercial shop. As for the heater, find one that draws combustion air from the outside.

Wood dust is a potential explosion!! No open flames should be in a enclosed area.

Not really. It can be a localized conflageration hazard for example if you let a significant amount of dust gather on a pipe, disturb it, and then ignite it, but generally it's not a problem in the concentrations that anyone would care to work in. You do need to collect it at source (a proper DC), wear proper personal protection, and work to clean up the aftermath (work space air filters, a shop vac, etc). VOC's from materials used in finishing are more of a firehazard with open flames than a space heater. However, you should look for a heater that gets its combustion air from outside and has a sealed chamber. They exist and aren't that expensive.

I've been using one for years and have had no issues. If you are creating enough dust in the air to create an explosive atmosphere you have other serious housekeeping issues. Just use a dust collector and keep things clean.

BTW; many commercial woodshops use these heaters very successfully.