Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Chode2235

Underwater Camera Recommendation

19 posts in this topic

Looking to get a good underwater camera this fall for the upcoming season (yes I am anxious to get back on the ice).

What models do you like, and why do you like them. I am looking for something that is lightweight (I use a little Otter Den) and something that is durable and has a good clear picture than can be used all day and into the night too.

Which one do you like and why? No bashing please, just throw out your favs and why you like them.

Also, what types of applications do you appreciate having your camera the most?

I am pretty happy with my Marcum VS380, it has a good clear picture, easy to use,priced low and fairly compact. It works ok at night, some lakes are much clearer than others. Mille Lacs has been my favorite lake for camera use.

I have the Aqua Vu scout XL. When I was looking I wanted a little larger screen. This one has a 7 in screen vs. a 5. I do wish mine would let me know the depth I was at and the direction but I get by just fine. I have however, heard mixed feeling about the ones that work at night. They have to use lights and I have heard they tend to scare fish. So if you want it just to see the structure or bottom content I think It would work well. That's just what I have heard, never saw it first hand. What I like to do is set the camera down a hole about ten feet from my shack positioned toward my bait, you get a little bigger viewing area and are able to see more than one bait at a time. I love using it in clear lakes, especially trout fishing. Good luck I'm sure you will be happy with whatever you choose

Off the top of my head,Nature Vision's Marcum line of cameras, the VS825c color camera. Crystal clear and color. I don't even own one but I've seen them in action. Clearer than anything on the market, and the next big thing will be color.

If you do a lot of summer viewing, you might consider something with a temperature sensor on it.

I want something that is durable, I can record off of, is clear, and is adjustable.

Here's a helpful link from a previous discussion...check out Joel Nelson's advice: http://www.fishingminnesota.com/forum/ub...r_c#Post1185010

Why is color better? Can you see things better, or is it just a wow?

Chode:

Much will depend on the clarity of the lakes you will be viewing. I often use Mille Lacs as somewhat of a model-lake for the use of color in underwater cameras. Using a color camera in any lake with clarity similar to, or better than Mille Lacs will yield you some interesting information.

Esp. for panfish, but predator fish too, the last green weeds in the lake will continue to hold fish. A color unit will tell you more about the condition of weedbeds in the areas you fish than about anything else; which may also yield information regarding substrate content/quality. I see another probable benefit to color in "matching the hatch," with subtle color hues often playing big roles in how selective fish can be when feeding. Ultimately, with clearer water, the addition of color simply elevates the detail-level of the information you're getting from below the ice.

At the same time, I frequently fish many lakes with poorer visibility, even in winter. Here, I'm of the opinion that black and white provides a great deal of contrast, esp. in low-light conditions. I wrote something up with my experiences from the Marcum VS820 last year:

Nature Vision - Marcum VS820

Nature Vision is planning on offering the Marcum underwater cameras as a premium line to their already healthy arsenal. You should have no problem finding a few around in stores this year to kick the tires and ultimately decide for yourself.

Good luck!

Joel

I have a Harbor Freight cheapy. I have to say that I am hooked on cameras now. The features that i would look for now are temperature at the camera level and to be able to record video. Those the things that I would like to have. The color ones sound nice but would like to see what there battery life is like. I would guess that the color will shorten the life a little just like it does with color handled GPS. But that may be a minor deal for those that like color. I think that as long as you stick with one of the major brands you will be happy. Good luck with the purchase and get ready for for some fun.

I have an aqua-vu.... i wish i had a marcum, or cabellas. What I really wish i had was one with the automated turning... Sometimes I get so angry trying to keep the cam pointed where I want it to point. Those four screen cams are sweet too. Almost all cameras do NOT work after sunset, even in a clear lake. What I do like, and its especially nice in clear water, is on my Aqua-vu, it has a little hook on the tail(my cam looks like a fish) that i can run the cord thru and get a view from the top... it was sweet watchin' the walley sneak up on my jig on mille-lacs last winter. AHH JEEEZE, i can't wait for ice fishing.

I would take a look at the Marcum camera compass as this works very well for holding the camera heads in place and also aids in turning the camera head. Also very reasonable in price.

i can help a bit, for about 15 bucks get a tripod. it has a little rubber ball that goes on the cord. once you have your depth figured out you can turn it like a radio dial. iys not perfect but works in a pinch. i have one and does ok. by the way i have an outdoor viewing system. works fine by me.

we've got the cabelas one, its a good price, and pretty good quality. The infrared light doesn't scare fish, as it is practically invisible. Like others have said, it depends alot on the clarity of the lake. Lotw is not a real good camera lake.

i would disagree to a point about the infared. i have fished with friends that have the infared a few times and outfished them on each occasion. really noticed it when it statred getting dark out and after dark.

i would disagree to a point about the infared. i have fished with friends that have the infared a few times and outfished them on each occasion. really noticed it when it statred getting dark out and after dark.

Maybe you're just a better fisherman? smile

Thanks for all the great info. What is the difference between IR and the SR, besides the marketing?

Marcum 380 is a very nice camera for the money. Any marcum up from there would be great.

Is that your clips if so how did you record that on a marcum, I have the Cabelas Cam and it's the same thing?